PDA

View Full Version : Brake Switch changing tips?

Marty Lau
09-19-2005, 07:23
I was having cruise and TCC lockup problems so I pulled the codes, and I got DCT-38, DCT-41. So I bought a new brake switch for $10. Well I crawled under the dash and I can't even see the darn thing I can reach up and feel it but not see it. Does any one know of a trick in changing this thing out or do you just do it by feel. According to illustrations from ALLData it doesn't look to be to tough once you get the retainer off. I hate not being able to see what I'm working on though. Again any tips or help would be greatly suggested.
Thanks
16 Ga

rjschoolcraft
09-19-2005, 07:37
It's simply a bear, no matter how you slice it. I broke the retainer the first time I removed it to replace the brake booster. I Gerry-rigged the retainer to make it work. I also struggled with it when I replaced the firewall insulation blanket. Don't know any shortcuts.

TurboDiverArt
09-19-2005, 07:47
Ditto. Mine is on the fritz. Sometimes the lights work and sometimes they don't. I only noticed it because all of a sudden my trailer brakes stopped working. Luckily the trailer was empty and less than 2000#. Was braking and noticed I had to push down harder and it seemed I was being pushed. I thought that maybe I had the controller set to light. Looked down and the controller was not engaging but was functional with the emergency panic switch. Checked the brake lights and not working on the truck or trailer. Checked the fuses and all good. Eventually narrowed it down to the brake switch. I can get the clip half off but no more. I want to see if NAPA has a replacement clip then I'll "mongo" it off not caring if it breaks. I tried prying and pulling pretty hard by hand and could not get it off. I want to have an extra clip before I try pulling with a set of pliers. It seems to be one of those push-on type lock washer nut things. PITA to get off. In the mean time, when I notice the brake controller not working, if I jab on the brakes real fast it'll start working again.

Art.

triathlete.az
09-19-2005, 08:17
Have replaced two brake switches on two trucks, first being a 96 suburban and now the other child the c3500. Once the retainer is off (PITA, I know, I used a flathead screwdriver) and needle nose pliers and took it off. From there, you can move the switch to get it off cable and then the switch will drop down and disconnect the wiring harness. Now, I am using a push on washer to hold mine and works fine.

TurboDiverArt
09-19-2005, 09:43
Originally posted by triathlete.az:
Have replaced two brake switches on two trucks, first being a 96 suburban and now the other child the c3500. Once the retainer is off (PITA, I know, I used a flathead screwdriver) and needle nose pliers and took it off. From there, you can move the switch to get it off cable and then the switch will drop down and disconnect the wiring harness. Now, I am using a push on washer to hold mine and works fine. Do you happen to know the size of the push-on washer? I thought this is the type used from the factory? Maybe mine was replaced once before but it sure does feel like one of these washers although I can't seem to get it off. Feels like a

landrea
09-20-2005, 08:05
I've replaced mine on 2 different trucks and the first one I destroyed the clip and my hand.When I got the new clip (dealer item)I asked one af the mechanics at the dealer I worked at, he laughed and told me a trick,you use a pocket screwdriver and pry out the inner ring and then pull out on the clip and it pops off.The next time it took 15 minutes to replace.He did recomend replacing the clip every time(cheap insurance)Hope this helps and good luck! :D :eek:

Marty Lau
09-29-2005, 11:10
The clip tip was a big help. I also had a bad relay in the under hood fuse block. Any way the change solved my TCC lockup issue that I was having. (not locking up until I drove it about 7 miles) Thanks for the help guys. smile.gif