PDA

View Full Version : No Gear Selector Indicator or Odometer

MikeyB
05-08-2010, 19:32
Started my truck today and there was no gear selector info or Odometer indication on the lower instrument cluster. I am thinking this is the dreaded NBSU? but want to be sure. It has happened in the past for short periods but pushing the odo reset button usually brought it back. This time no dice.

Any info on how to diagnose?

Thanks,
Mike

DmaxMaverick
05-09-2010, 03:11
More likely the IPC, or its connectors/electrical. A failed NSBU shouldn't, that I know of, effect the Odo. Pressing the trip meter reset has no effect on the NSBU, and the NSBU has nothing in common with the Odo. Unless, of course, there's a trip meter button mod I don't know about (it's only an inch long, and can't reach the transmission from there). The NSBU is located on the side of the transmission, where the gear range selector cable attaches.

MikeyB
05-09-2010, 04:19
DMaxMaverick,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will check for any codes next. What is an IPC. I'm guessing the C is computer?!

Thanks,
Mike

DmaxMaverick
05-09-2010, 11:00
IPC is just the term for the instrument panel console/cluster. It's not likely you'll find any codes. If it "fixes" itself (or if it did once or twice) by messing with the IPC (wiggling/pressing the reset or slapping the dash), it's a safe bet the problem is either a failed IPC, or a loose/poor connection. You can try removing it and cleaning up all the connections, as well as looking for some obvious failure (burned PCB-printed circuit- runs, solder, etc.). Unfortunately, there's really no diagnostic or test procedure for it. If it works, we leave it alone. If it doesn't, we replace it. If you know someone with a same year truck, you can switch them to test. You need to have the replacement programmed/calibrated by a dealer for permanent replacement, but a temporary will work w/o programming for testing purposes.

MikeyB
05-09-2010, 11:51
Thanks figured out the IPC portion with a little thinking. My wife has an '01 Yukon with the same cluster. I'll give it a try.
Just remembered she doesn't have a trans. temp gauge. Don't know if it will make a difference or not in the test.

Mike

DmaxMaverick
05-09-2010, 12:07
I don't think the Yukon IPC will work. Pretty sure it has to be the same model to be recognized (Diesel, etc.). There are significant differences between the 2500HD/3500, and 2500 (non HD) and down. I'd be concerned it may damage the Yukon IPC (then you'd be on the hook for 2 of them). I wouldn't do it.

MikeyB
05-09-2010, 13:10
Yikes, ok guess I won't be doing that! Any idea how much a new IPC cluster is cost wise including installation? Might just live with it for a bit. Hopefully the odometer is still working internally to show correct mileage when I ever sell.

Thanks,
Mike

DmaxMaverick
05-09-2010, 13:22
About $350-$400 at the dealer. You can get one elsewhere for less than $150. Installation is simple. Do it yourself and save a boatload. Calibration at the dealer should be less than $50.

MikeyB
05-09-2010, 18:04
Thanks for all the info. I know how to get the plastic bezel and such off. I think I remember seeing some screws that hold the entire unit. I am guessing remove the screws, remove cluster, and unplug harness which I will try to troubleshoot and go from there.

Any preferred vendors if I do need a new IPC? Were those prices for a new, rebuilt, or a junkyard jewel?

Thanks again,
Mike

DmaxMaverick
05-09-2010, 18:50
It isn't hard to R/R. Once the bezel is removed, it's only a few fasteners and the connector.

Check Rockauto, gmpartsdirect.com, lmctruck.com, or other aftermarkets. Reman is as good as new (you have an OEM new, now). No junkyard stuff. You're on your own with that. Rarely would I ever consider it for electronics.

tx dave
05-09-2010, 21:08
I have a question. Why do you have to have an IPC calibrated by the dealer? What could they possibily calibrate except maybe the miles. I"m confused. I've changed them on older cars without a dealer involvement. Just thought I'd ask. :)

More Power
05-10-2010, 15:41
I have a question. Why do you have to have an IPC calibrated by the dealer? What could they possibily calibrate except maybe the miles. I"m confused. I've changed them on older cars without a dealer involvement. Just thought I'd ask. :)

Consumer protection laws changed quite some time ago that were designed to prevent the average Joe from manipulating the recorded vehicle mileage by requiring specialized equipment. IPC odometers had to become more tamper resistant. When a dealer does it (install a replacement IPC), they must produce a paper trail showing what they did. Overall, I think it's for the best.

Jim

MikeyB
05-10-2010, 19:10
I did quite a bit of research today on how to get this thing fixed. Dealer wants $400, parts people want $150-200, and then I found this guy:

http://www.speedometerrepairguy.com/

You remove your cluster, ship to him, he turns it around in 24 hours and sends it back to reinstall. He fixes your cluster and from what I understand provides a lifetime warranty.
He charges $100 including return shipping.

Supposedly the odo and shift indicator are vacuum fluorescent lights. The light and cluster connections have had quite a few problems on GM vehicles. My problem is having my vehicle down for a number of days. I wonder if it can be driven without the cluster in place?!

Mike