PDA

View Full Version : Place to buy new upper and lower oil pans

thebigtoto34
05-10-2010, 20:20
I have a 2001 Duramax and my upper and lower oil pans are both cracked. I looked at GMpartsdirect and they want 240 for the upper and 70 for the lower. Any one know of anywhere else that would have better prices? Thanks

DmaxMaverick
05-10-2010, 21:46
There's no aftermarket, that I'm aware of. Gmpartsdirect should have about the best price, anywhere. Other than a wrecking yard, I don't know. Is a repair out of the question?

Curious....Why are they cracked?

thebigtoto34
05-11-2010, 07:13
Well the guy who had the truck before me must have decided to go 4x4ing and somehow the upper pan got smashed. It is covered with a layer of JB Weld and that is cracking through now so i think its time to replace. And the lower one has a crack in it also.

DmaxMaverick
05-11-2010, 08:05
If they are just cracked (and not in pieces), I'd have it welded (professionally). Take it to an aircraft machine shop to be repaired, not a local pipe dealer. Unless, of course, you personally know the skill level of the welder (A&P machinists are qualified, no OJT happening on your stuff). The tough part is going to be getting all that J-B off of it. You'll have to R/R in any case, so might as well give that a shot. It may be economical to replace the lower pan, but that one will be the easiest to successfully repair.

Kennedy
05-11-2010, 19:36
Are you sure it's actually cracking? Is it leaking?

The early upper pans had a very thick mastic applied as a sound deadening. Wondering if you might be mistaking this material for a repair?

thebigtoto34
05-12-2010, 23:06
Ya its cracked. The whole bottom of the pan is covered with j-b weld. The jb weld is actually starting to crack also and oil is coming out. THe bottom oil pan is also cracked but oil is not leaking. Just gonna replace that one while its all torn apart. Nothing like buying a truck then having to spend half of what you paid to fix it! :(:mad:

thebigtoto34
05-12-2010, 23:22
a thick mastic? I have it at a diesel shop now and this place is known for working on the duramax. He told me it was J-B weld. When i was underneath looking at it he showed me the cracks in it and the oil coming out. So maybe he put the J-B weld over the mastic? or just scraped the mastic off so the J-B weld had something to bond too. So im replacing the head gaskets, rear main seal, and both oil pans. He told me the price was going to be about 3800. He is not pulling the motor which was why i thought the price was high. Because labor to pull the motor i thought was most of it. But he is sending the heads in to the machine shop so that might be why...? IDK i just want my truck back! :D

Kennedy
05-13-2010, 08:55
A job as extensive as you have outlined would be best perfromed on an engine stand. Too much standing on your head, stuck bolts etc.

As for the aluminum part cracking/breaking I would sure think it would be hard to get up there and crack the pan. Even the tin pan is pretty well tucked up there.