PDA

View Full Version : GM Service - Very Disappointing

WyoDutch
05-11-2010, 08:09
I don't get it...
I bought a new 2009 1-ton Duramax last November. I have taken it to the selling dealer for service since the day I took delivery.

At 10,000 miles, I switched to Rotella T-6 synthetic and an Amsoil, high-efficiency filter.

Yesterday, at 18K miles, I had it at the dealer for oil & filter (I brought my own T-6 oil and Amsoil filter) ... fuel filter... differential(s) drain and refill and tire rotation. (I intend to keep the truck for many years, so I pay close attention to servicing.)

I get it home and check the oil. Hmmmm. Looks pretty dirty for 200 miles. I crawl underneath and check the oil filter. My Amsoil filter? Nope... not even a "Genuine GM" filter. The dealer installed a Quaker State oil filter and God only knows what kind of oil he dumped-in.

I call my "service consultant" at the dealership... (He was on vacation yesterday, so I worked with someone else.) I asked him why they install cheapo filters.

He was honest in his response... "It's cheaper." he said... "Most customers want a low-cost oil change, so we use the Quaker State filter. The oil was Rotella non-synthetic."

Lesson learned for me... From now on, double-check that they are using my oil and filter.

More Power
05-11-2010, 10:15
I've had both good and bad experiences at the Quik-Lube type service centers. Gotta watch em like a hawk, and double-check their work every single time. Smearing a dab of grease on the A-arms, instead of actually greasing the ball joints is a frequent service fake. Jim

SoTxPollock
06-04-2010, 13:00
Sooooo, who got your good oil and good filter?

NutNbutGMC
06-04-2010, 18:49
Sooooo, who got your good oil and good filter?
You had to bring that up.... :D