PDA

View Full Version : help with my first chevy please

stangjunkie
05-11-2010, 14:57
hey guys! this is the first diesel and first chevy ive owned. its an 83 half ton 6.2. i picked it up needing a trans and found a guy on craigslist to rebuild it for 700 (including removal and install). anyway, can you guys give me a basic run down on this engine and maybe some cheap tuning advice? i dont want to do anything major at this point (internal engine stuff) but i would like to wake it up some. i havent had a chance to drive it yet but its sounding like im going to want more power. for what its worth, it will be used as a dd work truck pushing, pulling, hauling, towing.... you get the idea. thanks guys!

Robyn
05-12-2010, 06:37
First off WELCOME TO TDP :D:):D

Good to have you on the board.

The 6.2 in the half ton was rated at 130 HP when it was new.

Check the compression with the engine warm.

390 -420 is good. Should be relatively even.

With a bunch of miles, the best thing is to get the injectors and the IP gone through by a competent pump shop.

Be sure the glow plugs are in good order.

You could replace the exhaust system with something that will flow a bit better.

Possibly, you may want to scare up a 3/4 ton (J) series intake manifold as this will eliminate the EGR and the mess and loss of power that creates.

Have the IP set up to "J" specs and you can get ther little critter up to about 160 HP.

Have fun and keep us posted on the project.

Robyn

Subzilla
05-13-2010, 06:11
Also replace the fuel filters if you're unsure of the mileage - the visible one on the firewall AND the invisible one below the back of the air cleaner. Fill them up with fresh diesel and you won't airlock it.

If your truck still has the factory air cleaner intake restriction (all of that plastic mess between the air cleaner and radiator support), yank it off and just run some unrestricted duct work to the radiator support.

At some point, you will want to install a pyrometer aka exhaust gas temperature gauge. You will be amazed how high head temps can get when your foot is heavy on the gas pedal. On these engines, you will want to keep the temps below 1100 degrees or so to keep the heads nice and straight.

stangjunkie
05-17-2010, 18:53
so far, my only progress has been buying and starting to tear down a parts truck. the way i see it, i bought a bed and got a free parts truck. the 550 purchase price included new rockers and cab corners, a 350 with vortec heads, a 700r4 (can i use this in my truck to avoid the cost of a rebuild on mine?), flowmasters, cooler stock wheels than my current ones, helper springs... i think i can sell off some of the parts and get about of my money back. the cab is shot but if anyone local (columbus ohio) would like to cut any patch panels out of it, youre welcome to. it had a cab corner welded in the drivers side recently. im really putting off calling the trans guy! i'll try to get some pics on here for you guys soon. dont get too excited though, its really just an old work truck. id like to get it driving before i go cuttingand welding on the cab corners and rockers.....ive seen this "j" seriesstuff in other posts... what years were these? what series is mine? thanks again!