PDA

View Full Version : Sticky brake

Subzilla
05-14-2010, 09:56
I've got a touchy rear passenger side drum brake on the Sub. It will lock up if I over push the brake pedal so I have to be super sensitive as to how quickly I apply it. On a panic stop especially, it will lock up - wet or dry pavement. Trying to resolve the problem back in the winter, I rebuilt the rear brakes: new shoes, cylinders, hardware. Bleed them multiple times and adjusted the brakes out multiple times. I've pulled both drums to see any differences or abnormalities but none to be found. I can't see anything kinked in the brake line. No axle seal leakages on the shoes. Like I said, it's just the one side.

Blockage in the brake line on the other side maybe causing more power to the "locking" side??

Guess I could swap sides with shoes, then cylinders to see if the problem follows - I don't know. Any suggestions?

a5150nut
05-14-2010, 17:52
Did you get all the springs a clips back in correctly?

Any bad spots in the drums or were they turned?

Short shoo in front / long in rear?

Adjusted equally?

Those are the first things I would check.

Robyn
05-15-2010, 07:42
The system runs equal pressure across the axle so one line plugged will not increase pressure to the other.

As mentioned, drum with wierd spots. Short shoe must be on the front side.

My bet is that you have a situation where one set of shoes and the drum have a different frictional quality than the other side.

Try swapping the drums side to side and see if the issue follows.

If it does, scare up a different drum for the offending one.

I have had one on DaHoooley off and on that will "grab" at different times.

Some brake lining can have issues with its composition and will grab hard on the drum.

Missy