PDA

View Full Version : 5.9L Cummins

Whitelight
05-17-2010, 13:55
What does everyone think of the 5.9 Cummins? What year do you think was the best engine? I have always liked the 24 valve from working on them at the dealership. Far as I know, the biggest issues with them was the injection pump and lift pump. But I think aftermarket parts can solve that.

Edahall
05-17-2010, 14:37
The most trouble free years were probably from 88-93 and 94-97. The 88-93 had the VE pump which was very reliable and easy to get more power with a screw driver and wrench. This pump was good for power up to 400 hp. This engine was the most quiet of the bunch unless we’re talking about the new ones and also delivered the best fuel economy. The 94-97 is the most desirable because not only is it reliable but the P7100 pump can deliver nearly 1000 hp. The early 24 valve engines had problems with the block cracking and the engine was very noisy. It also had a bunch of electronic emission controls that increased complication.

Whitelight
05-17-2010, 14:56
oh, ok, So I think I would be better of with a 94-97 12 Valve, Mechanical is better.. I hate dealing with emissions and electronics.. thanks

JRM
09-14-2010, 22:07
Does anyone know the dana 70 axle well? I havent been on this board since I sold my 2002 D-max in 04' for a down payment on my house. I miss that truck, Miss this board as seen by my join date but My friend lets me drive his 95' Dodge diesel with a dana 70 rear axle as much as I need. Yesterday I noticed the ABS light come on after some tight corrners on a very steep paved road. the posi has also been very tight to where it churps the rear tires in parking lots, Then when I got home I noticed oil on the tailgate, it appears I snapped 2 teeth off the pinion gear and ejected them threw the diff cover. Can anyone help with advice if the rest of the diff is ok? I hope I can just jam a new pinion in and be ok? Serious budet here, job sucks and $2,000 house payment.
Link to video i just took:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhKhzvb9Ax4