PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L Suburban, 95 radiator question

spade413
05-19-2010, 18:24
My 95 Burb has busted it's upper radiator hose fitting. I saw a thread in the Tech forum, titled Cooling System Failures, with a picture that is pretty much spot on to mine, with half the fitting having broken off in the hose. After reading the thread, it looks like the best solution is to either retank the radiator, or replace the entire thing. Since the radiator that's on this truck is at least 7 years old, I'm choosing to go with replace.

I don't tow much with the truck, aside from children and coworkers, so I'm not too concerned about that aspect. I do want something reliable, since I'm an inexperienced home mechanic, and would prefer a straightforward solution.

I have read many threads concerning radiators, and it seems that many people prefer the 2 core aluminum and many others prefer the 4+ core brass. I've not found too many references to specific radiators, though. I've seen the AC Delco 4 core for sale at around $460, and the Proliance 2 core for around $230 (prior to shipping).

http://info.rockauto.com/VistaPro/Detail2.html?www.pliii.com/catalog?searcher[proliance_part]=431343&search_proliance_parts=SEARCH

As I said, I'm a pretty inexperienced mechanic, and I'd hate to order the thing and find it inadequate, or worse, incompatible. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

john8662
05-20-2010, 07:28
I vote for only two solutions:

Visteon's radiator as a replacement for the OEM.
Or, the OEM.

What I've found with many of the "discount" aluminum radiators is that they're the thin-core version with limited cooling, actually a step down from what you have, hence the price.

J

spade413
05-20-2010, 14:54
Thanks for the tip. I've not seen a Visteon radiator for sale. Time to look for a vendor. If anyone has a preferred vendor, let me know and I'll check them out.

Robyn
05-20-2010, 15:19
The Visteon is a good choice.

The cheap radiators have the tubes epoxied into the headers. Once these crack loose (And they will) its game over.

The Visteon is all aluminum brazed (Tubes to headers)

Do a google search and you should be able to find a dealer.

Robyn

Bobbie Martin
06-07-2010, 07:37
Good luck finding a Visteon. I just went through this. Visteon filed bankruptcy a while back and their supply is not very good these days. That and most of their radiators are sourced from Mexico now. The radiator they supply now is not the same as the older ones, if you can even find a Visteon branded radiator.

john8662
06-07-2010, 11:22
Good luck finding a Visteon. I just went through this. Visteon filed bankruptcy a while back and their supply is not very good these days. That and most of their radiators are sourced from Mexico now. The radiator they supply now is not the same as the older ones, if you can even find a Visteon branded radiator.

What a shame, when a company makes a top notch product, then they can't make any money due to all the very cheezy knock offs.

The last one I got was made in Mexico, not bad though, at least I didn't think.