PDA

View Full Version : OP switch signal wire?? what color??

85-m1028
05-20-2010, 08:24
wondering what the "gray wire" at the 3 wire connector to the oil pressure switch is for.

If this is the signal wire for the oil pressure guage, what kind of guage would I need? I.E. brand or specific calibration that will work.

the engine is a 97, see sig..

More Power
05-27-2010, 10:33
wondering what the "gray wire" at the 3 wire connector to the oil pressure switch is for.

If this is the signal wire for the oil pressure guage, what kind of guage would I need? I.E. brand or specific calibration that will work.

the engine is a 97, see sig..

The 1998 GM book I have indicates that the oil pressure switch receives 12vdc via an orange wire (1.0mm metric cross sectional wire gauge) through the ECMB 20-amp fuse, and the output of the switch is a gray (1.0) wire, which connects to the lift pump.

The oil pressure sender has a low resistance when oil pressure is low and a higher resistance (~90 ohms) when oil pressure is higher.

Jim

JohnC
05-27-2010, 11:03
... oil pressure switch receives 12vdc via an orange wire (1.0mm metric cross sectional wire gauge) through the ECMB 20-amp fuse, and the output of the switch is a gray (1.0) wire, which connects to the lift pump.

The remaining wire, whatever color it is, is for the gauge and connects the gauge to ground through the variable resistor.

85-m1028
05-27-2010, 13:45
So I should be recieving 12v from the gray wire. I use that to power a relay for the lift pump?

I have yet to get any voltage indication from that wire! perhaps the pressure switch is bad? Would that keep the computer from giving fuel?

gray = votage to lift pump relay

orange = voltage supply ecm 20amp

brown = signal for guage