PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here installed this intercooler kit in there 6.5td?

asabadin
12-28-2004, 21:28
i was poking around the net and found this kit does onyone have experience with this? Any owners of this kit with feedback? Here is the link

http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/6.5intercooler.htm

DA BIG ONE
12-28-2004, 23:05
I use this one, does its job. However, hose clamps and hoses slip off after install, so pay attention to them when installing, and retighten them a few times then you can forget them for awhile. The IC will install on an angle, not an issue, and you can fab an airdam out of PVC, or light aluminum to direct air flow through it better.

Pipe that is routed through inner wheelwell and chassis my contact ABS wiring harness, and, or brake lines, in this case they need to be protected, piece of hose works well here.

If you 4wheel you may want to consider some kind of skid protection for your IC, but the device for protection must not restrict air flow through the IC.

The bigger, the better when it comes to an IC, but space limitations is an issue on our trucks.

LanduytG
12-29-2004, 05:05
Kennedy's larger inter-cooler kit is much better and hangs together. I have had it on our 6.5 for about 100K now. It might be the most costly mod but I feel it is the best one you can make.

Greg

rjschoolcraft
12-29-2004, 05:33
This is the intercooler that was used on the 6.5 Project Truck. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/finale.htm)

HowieE
12-29-2004, 07:02
I have had a Turbo Teck on my truck for close to 5 years. As noted above I had the tubes blow off twice under hard acceleration. This was a problem with one of the rim rolls on the end of the tube just was not rolled out far enough to lock the hose on the tube. A little RTV on a cleaned tube has work.

My suprise is I had looked up Turbo Teck several years back and was told they were out of business.

fshope
12-29-2004, 13:45
This one is on my 94 4X4 GMC Suburban. It works well.

Frank

marktara
12-29-2004, 15:17
I have the same one on my truck and like the others have said the hose clamps don't work so I went a bought the GOOD ones and have not had a hose blow off since. The intercooler COMPLETELY changed my truck.

fshope
12-29-2004, 19:12
A word of caution, be careful not to let the down pipe (wheel opening side)touch the front brake line. The down pipe can cause your brakes to fail by rubbing a hole in the brake line.

Frank

99gmccrew
12-29-2004, 19:13
Intercoolers, are the key to maximum performance, but I would start with a good set of gauges,(pyrometer,boost,and tranny temp) if you plan to do ANY towing. I was informed early on when I joined this website that with the 6.5l you must drive by gauges to preserve your engine from disaster. That has been very good advice for me and that is where I started making my modifications. Then I altered the intake and exhaust (opened them up). After this I was ready to install the IC and and boost controller so I could monitor improvements that were gained by the gauges, mainly the EGT's and boost.
just my 2 cents

asabadin
12-29-2004, 21:16
good advice guys thank you!!!
just so you all know, i called turbo tech today
after asking them about the problems brought up by you guys they told me that these issues have been addressed in design mods. all pipe edges have a barbed edge now
(like a fuel line push on fitting)
also all the clamp sizes have been increased to s.s. 1 inch clamps. also the price has been dropped to 896.00 including shipping

rjschoolcraft
12-29-2004, 21:22
You should seriously consider Kennedy's large intercooler. :cool:

mbrew
12-29-2004, 22:52
It looks like quite a few of us run this intercooler. I've had mine for a year and a half. My only regret is that I waited so long. If you tow you need one. Your only decision should be which one. I find this size adequate for towing my rig in the Northwest. It may be too small for the South in the summer. This is the same intercooler that BD sells. The quality is good and the installation process is reasonable. Just heed the warnings about clearance and take a few precautions like double-nutting the mounting bolts and checking the torque on the hose clamps after a couple heat cycles.

Billman
12-30-2004, 05:31
Another vote for the JK/Spearco.

Sorry guys. That Turbo Tech piece is Ugly AND Small. If I'm not mistaken, 1 pipe is routed outside the R/F framerail and highly visible in the wheel well.

Now brake lines are rubbing against it?

Money is always an issue. Save your pennies. It's worth it.

Bigger here is better.

tanker
12-30-2004, 15:46
I have had the Turbo Tech on mine for a long time I think about 1997. As stated above it is close to the front steel brake line, and moving the air-bag sensor helps. I blew my first hose off going up Powder River Pass on US-16 in Wyoming at about 9000ft elevation. A lot of black smoke out the exhaust, and no power. Since then I have replaced the clamps and never had a problem since.
I must agree with Howie above, in that I also think Turbo Technology is possibly out of this field. John Kennedy has a real nice set up, but in 1997 I did not know of John. John handles quality products, but most of all, he backs them up with his vast knowledge. He's been there and done that. :D

DogDiesel
12-31-2004, 15:54
I have had this Intercooler mounted since '95. I took it to 300HP with the 6.5TDA.

For the last 15k, I have been cooling a 5.9L cummins with it, a temporary set-up while I modifiy the Do*ge* intercooler to fit. Apparently the clamps and connecter are fine, as my cummins pumps up to 36PSI on grades.

I have towed everything I own, with more than the truck should tow.

There are bigger and better, but if you can get one of these, you'll be so much better than none.

It works.

Wayne

Turbine Doc
12-31-2004, 20:04
Though not really intended for a K1500 the extra work to install the JK big IC was well worth the effort see here http://myweb.cableone.net/tbogemirep/ IMO bigger is definately better in ICs

Dvldog 8793
01-01-2005, 04:50
Howdy
I have this IC sitting in my "round-2-it" pile. When you are referring to the "good" hose clamps, what exactly do you mean? The ones that came with it appear to be very good quality doubled SS hose clamps. Is there something different that I should be looking? I was also planning on roughing or bead blasting the ends of the pipe and then using silicon to help get a better grip.
Good post!
L8r
Conley Janssen

Turbine Doc
01-01-2005, 10:02
Tee bolt clamps are "good ones", I started with stainless worm screw clamps which mostly worked but tee bolts are the ones you want I found some on ebay pretty reasonable $19 for a set of 10 IIRC, turbo specialty shops want $6 ea for them.

I just did a search here is the vendor on ebay check with them to see what current prices are on clamps. http://www.vecco.com/

[ 01-01-2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]