PDA

View Full Version : Frame Replacement Opinions & Sources?

crashz
05-26-2010, 11:53
Was chasing the air leak in the fuel system of the '87 in my sig this past weekend and a nasty crack was found in the frame next to the lift pump.

To give you a history, this truck was a former municipal truck from my home town. Shorty after buying it, a town operator hit a catch basin while plowing and damaged the frame. It folded the passenger side frame rail under the truck, apparently creasing the frame at the front crossmember.

Forward many years later, the frame was straightened and the web of the rail was plated with 1/4" or 3/16" plate steel, welded all around by either the town or the previous owner. The top flange was cut and welded with a smooth straight bead. The bottom looks like a wad of bubble gum. When I bought the truck, the patch looked good and seemed to be fine. I've only driven it a handfull of times since I bought it.

The cracks are deep, penetrating and spreading. The entire bottom flange is cracked and the gaps are about 1/16". The web of the "beam" is cracking almost halfway up, and including the patch plate. The top flange weld appears to be holding.

As the truck was a former salter, the back end is pretty rusty. The spring hanger mounting points are the worst parts, but overall the frame thickness is still good and not really a problem. But with this new issue, I'm starting to contemplate a new frame. I could clean up the cracks, weld them up (have a welding shop do this) and reinforce the bottom flange to prevent this again, but I'd be saving a mediocre frame.

Here in the Northeast, 4x4 cab and chassis frames are hard to find in good shape. I was hoping that some members here may have good connections with junk yards that may have these trucks. If anyone here knows of a potential source, I'll get the wheel base dimensions this weekend. For a dually cab and chassis, it should be fairly common, as it was a standard size mason dump, with 8 ft body. No toolpack or any other oddball length.

Thanks!
Leo