PDA

View Full Version : The rest of the story ---- sort of. Injectors

DickWells
05-28-2010, 17:38
I had posted under the wrong forum about this, calling it "Ouch ----- gonna hurt." Been bouncing around on the phone with GM, the local dealer, the dealer back home, and the local diesel Gurru in Hornell, NY, for 3 days. MUCH smoking at idle, culminating with much more smoke under load, with much mechanical knocking, and a whoooole lot of gut-rumblings, and heart palpitation! This was Monday night, coming into Hormell from the West.
The trailer is in Campbell, and the truck has been in Bath for 3 days. The stealer wouldn't say the right words to the GM reps., so the up-shot is that I had it towed back to Hormell to the local guy, and will stand the 4 grand to get it fixed.
Now, the fact/test sheet from the stealer says No 8 inj. pouring fuel into the cylinder. Three other suspect injectors, with values marginally outside the parameters. BUT, they advise on the sheet that they are unable to scan the PCM and identify! PCM will communicate, but no ID program available. I can't understand why they can state that NO 8 is pouring fuel, but they can't communicate with the PCM ??? Anyway, GM agreed to go 1/3 on changing the injectors. So, I got to checking the dealer's figures for doing the job. Sixty-three-hundred, including about $500 for the "special" gaskets involved! The special gaskets that I'm aware of, consist of a tube of gasket compound. I wouldn't let these clowns open up my DM if I had to tow it the 413 miles back home with my Kawasaki KLM! GM will only warrantee the new inj. for 12 months. The ones going in are covered for a year, regardless of mileage.
I get my valve lash checked and adjusted while the covers are off, too.
I'm thoroughly fed up with the outfit called Simmons Rockwell, in Bath, NY.
They are huge. Sell everything in many stores all over NY. I've heard nothing but bad input on their service all week. Buy your unit there, and get the best deal around, but don't take it there for service! One lady said they threatened to sue her, and she asked them, "How, for telling the truth?" Get this, the GM rep. told me this morning that the reason I was getting 1/3 assistance was due to the efforts of my local dealer, back in Morrisville, VT!
Since the inj. were replaced under the policy, back in Aug. 07, GM is not replacing them the second time, especially since this dealer won't be clear about the problem. It's like the truck won't run, but they don't want to tell GM that the injectors have to be replaced in order to keep the engine from grenading. Yet, this dealer told me, also this morning, that since ULSD came along, the LB7s have been needing a new set of injectors about every 50K.
I love this truck, but I trust a Cummins a lot more. Looks like GM has lost another customer.:( Sure can sympathize with the guy in the nearby thread. He's out of warrantee, and mine's within as an 04, with 121 K on it. Well, it should be! Government Motors! Blah!

Mark Rinker
05-29-2010, 07:35
If it were me, I'd tow it home and have the #8 injector replaced, sell the truck (with full disclosure), and buy a 2006-2007 LBZ.