PDA

View Full Version : New Here, Questions on Buying 6.2

lefty2053
05-29-2010, 04:36
Just joined this forum this morning and plan on buying an 1986 3/4 ton Chevy with the 6.2 Diesel in it. I have been on the TDI club for years with my Jetta Diesel but there is a big difference in the two engines for sure.

What would I look for as far as problems this truck may have? I know all about the mechanical things but not much about the motor itself. What would you suggest I look for? I did read some about the Low power issues.Thanks in Advance.

Robyn
05-29-2010, 07:30
Welcome to TDP :D

Be sure when you go to look at the truck that it is left COLD overnight.

This will allow you to see how well it starts up.

If it starts up well with minimla smoke, this is a good thing.

A good 6.2 should start right up with one glow cycle in most weather conditions. (Except real cold)

Allow the engine to run and warm up. Note the oil pressure, should be about 40 or so running and idle warm at around 20

Take a look at the overall scheme of things under the hood.
Does it look thrashed with wires and stuff messed up and overall unkept??
If things are neat and not terribly oily due to leaks ect, this is good.

Once the engine is warm, unscrew the oil fil cap and take note of anything coming out (smoke, fumes ect) A small amount of vapor is normal. If its really huffing out a cloud NOT GOOD.

Check the coolant vent hose area for signs that the thing has been blowing coolant out.

Once the rig is warmed some, take it for a spin of at least 5 miles.

If you can, get it on a good little pull and note the engine temperature.
Factory thermostats were 190F but after this many years its hard to say whats in there.

The temp should not run over 190F with minimal load.

Driving the rig should show a modest power level as the 6.2 is not a Moose engine by any means.

Once your done with the test drive, look uncer the truck for any leaks (Oil, coolant, tranny fluid)

One area to check carefully, once the engine is warm, check the top radiator hose by giving it a light squeez.

The hose should be firm from water pressure but not HARD like it could pop.

Very hard hose plus coolant coming from the overflow hose is an indicator that there could be a cracked head or a leaking head gasket.

Once the engine is good and warm, the exhaust should be clean at idle with no visible smoke.
Engine should run smooth with a nice even "Rattle" to it.

Check for any fuel leaks, indicated by the smell of RAW diesel.

Look over the battery cables and the batteries. (overall condition)

Pretty basic stuff on these critters.

The 6.2 is a very basic V8 engine.
The fuel system is a Stanadyne mechanical injection pump with Bosch injectors.

Good luck and have fun.

Any specific question?? just ask.

Robyn

lefty2053
05-29-2010, 07:44
Thanks for all the Info. I am going to check it out in the morning at about 7am so it should be cold. I will look at the engine before I start it and check if it has been running from touch first. It is at an elevation of about 8k feet so would any of this info change?

When you say unscrew the oil fill cap once warm you do mean when the motor is off? Or when running?

One thing I need to know is: What oil do you guy's use in these? I use Rotella T Synthetic on my TDI at 10k mile oil changes.

turbonator
06-19-2010, 16:55
Hi, unscrew the oil filler cap when motor is running. This is a check for blow-by
(passing rings to enter crankcase), and CDR function.

We use regular diesel motor oil 15-40......

JohnC
06-19-2010, 17:41
At 8000' altitude moderate starting difficulties are to be expected. In fact, if it starts without a lot of fuss, that's a [very] good sign!