PDA

View Full Version : New Here #2 More questions

lefty2053
05-30-2010, 08:45
1986 6.2 3/4 Ton. 4x4

I went and looked at the truck I really like and it ran fine,started right up even at 25 Degrees where it was sitting. Motor was stone cold when I looked at it. I found a very tidy clean engine bay. No leaks no smell of fuel and just looked like it had the miles advertised. (140k) Let it warm up until the engine slowed down(I guess a choke system). Ran it up the mountain about 6 miles and turned it around. It smoked (black only up the hill) but hardly at all down. When I started it it ran smooth with hardly anything visible out the exhaust. I had to put my hand down to the pipes to find it was putting out some suet. Drive lines looked real good and the exhaust and mufflers were hardly aged. It is a 4 Speed with Low Granny gear. No play in the drive lines. No rust on the whole truck, it has the 16 1/2 inch wheels and brand new tires. It has a brand new Hydro boost. 2 New Batteries. Only thing is the A/c needs charged.

Now the questions:
1. I noticed when cruising in 3rd gear if I let up on the throttle and then hit it hard the truck seemed to lurch forward but with good power. Almost seemed like the tranny slipped but it wasn't a glunk type lurch. Is this normal?
2. There was a small amount of oil or tranny grease on the tranny bolt. It seemed to be coming from the oil filter area. Couldn't tell for sure. Is this a big problem? Or just a seal? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also the Oil pressure gauge doesn't work. It stays all the way to the right and doesn't change. Is this a Electric or manual Gage? Where is it located at on the engine so I can check it.

Kcustom73
06-01-2010, 09:01
Don't really have an answer for you on the 2 questions as I'm just getting into the 6.2 world myself and believe someone here will be able to answer.

I do have a suggestion for you. Depending on what tire size you have on those 16.5 rims you might have a hard time finding new tires in the future. I have them with 8.75R16.5 tires on my 84 G3500 van/motor home and had a hard time finding tires. Very few tires co. still make a tire in the 8.75R16.5 size. The only "name brands" I found where the Firestone transforce HT and the Cooper SRMII.

If you have the above size tire on a 16.5 rim, you might want to find different rims for the future to make easier to find tires. Just some food for taught.

Subzilla
06-02-2010, 13:14
Not sure about the lurching in a specific gear BUT make sure you do change the fuel filter. A plugged filter can cause all kinds of weird traits including power surging.

Leaks - these engines love to do that. If it's not the filter, then there should be oil cooler lines right above the filter with tiny o-rings. Replace those but also check the rubber lines for weeping. The factory crimped connectors will eventually leak and could be running down around the filter.

The electric OP gage is located at the back of the engine on the driver's side tucked very tightly between the valve cover/head and firewall. Quite difficult to get a wrench on it without removing the intake manifold. Make sure it is even plugged in first!

Let us know what you find!