PDA

View Full Version : Code P0251

Beedee
05-30-2010, 10:48
I started having some issues with the truck lately, the hard starting and stalling type.
Thought that it might have been the PMD since it has never been changed and I have 170000 Kilometers on the odometer (just over 100K in english LOL). I have been nervous about the PMD for a year so went out and bought a new DTech with remote mount and put it behind the left head light.

When I started the truck after the install, it flashed right up, ran for about 15 seconds then quit, wouldn't start right up again.

I thought that it might have been the fuel pump or OPS but they all check out, have put a new filter in and checked for air in the system. Every thing checks out good, cleaned some grounds just on the off chance but they were all clean.

I can get the beast to start but it takes a bit, once it gets going it seems OK but I haven't taken it for a run, little worried about getting it out of the driveway and needing a tow home:(.

Borrowed a code reader and it spit out a code P0251 (Injection pump fuel metering control A). Cleared code and tried again. Keeps setting the same code.

Have done a few searches on the forum and not looking good. From what I can gather sounds like the optical sensor or the pump itself is failing.

Any of you wizards out there have any suggestions. Camping season is here and the truck and trailer are sitting in the drive.

On a good note, the phone had been ringing off the hook with companies looking for a mechanic that do what I do. I have decided to go back to the company that had to lay me off last year. I like the projects that they get me to do, back on to day shift (which makes the resident love goddess very happy) and the potential to make some good coin.

It's amazing what a year can do.

Looking forward to some help with this little problem.

Brian

KallyI
05-30-2010, 14:10
There might be other reasons for the code, but I just had it, and had to replace the Injection pump.

Yukon6.2
05-31-2010, 07:55
Hi
I just went through that code with my tow truck,did some diagnostic checks from all data,and all roads lead to changing the pump.i read a couple of posts on changing the optical encoder,and it is a simple job if you have any mechanical skills.Took me about 1.5 hours to take two pumps apart and put the truck bact together and have it running.I scronged up a used pump that had quit running in a guys yard,he didn't know about the pmd problems so i took a chance that the optical encoder was OK.
There is a good step by step thread from a member in Norway that explaines how he did it,i followed his directions,and some encoragement from Arveteck
and all is good.
I priced a encoder from a injector shop and was told around $400,but you have to send the pump to us to change the encoder,how much for that?about another $ 400.
Now i have to spend that $800 on something:D.I did start to compile my parts to change to MFI.Got a new military db231 pump,and throttle cable on the self for the time i can't fix the pump or figger out why it wouln't run.
Anyhow changing the encoder is very doable.
Good Luck Thomas