PDA

View Full Version : 4wd - Front Driveshaft- How do you get it out???

bdv
12-29-2004, 15:31
Have 1994 Chevy Sunburn K 2500 4x4 have to remove front driveshaft to replace oil filter adapter oil rings and oil lines. I have removed the bolts and straps on front universal and the bolts on the rear universal flange. I have also loosed and slid off the plastic nut, which is on driveshaft. It looks like the shaft is two pieces with the front end sliding into the rear end. I think the plastic nut is to retain the grease from the grease fitting above. I have tried prying the shaft out with pry bar ( no movement holes on rear flange still line up) but I am afraid of damage to transfer case as I am apply enough leverage to move it? How much force to apply to shaft? Don’t won’t to use hammer on shaft or on flange for fear of damage to balance. How do I get shaft out?

Thanks for the help. Brent

rjschoolcraft
12-29-2004, 17:26
The plastic nut does not need to be removed. The two pieces of shaft should slide together at the spline joint to allow removal. I've had mine out many times. I bet the grease has gotten hard or that the splines are frozen due to lack of grease preventing the splines from sliding. Go back after it with the pry bar...it should do the trick.

diesel65
12-29-2004, 19:14
Brent,
As Ronniejoe said that the splines can freeze, I had a suburban that I worked on to replace the transmission. I could not get the front shaft out until I unbolted the transmission from the engine.
After I got the shaft out, I tried putting it in a hydraulic press and see if I could break it loose. The splines would not budge, I had to replace the shaft assembly.

If you loosen the four bolts that hold the front differential to the chassis, you might be able to move it enough to popout the driveshaft.
After you get the old shaft out don't reinstall it because you placing undue stress onto the transfer case when the chassis flexes, bring it to a driveshaft shop and have it repaired or replaced.

G. Gearloose
12-30-2004, 03:35
I could only get mine to compress about a 1/4" after much pursuasion...then pried it out.

Grease was like well hardened putty long ago, won't flow out of the way. New grese never gets there because the slip joint never moves.

Later chained one end to each of my trucks and yanked it apart..cleaned the splines, regreased and it works fine.

JohnC
12-30-2004, 09:20
I've replaced both oil lines and adapter O-rings without removing the shaft. thougt never ccrossed my mind...