PDA

View Full Version : 180 thermostat, will it cause water droplets..?

k3500
04-26-2005, 15:37
I have a question for the experts. I installed 180 degree thermostats, for towing in the summer, and since then I have had some water droplets form on dipstick and oil filler tube. Could this be caused by the engine not getting warm enough to evaporate the humid air? Or do I have other problems? It has new heads from a blown headgasket from a year ago. Your thoughts are appreciated.

k3500
04-26-2005, 16:10
Also wanted to add to post above. I pressurized coolant system and it held overnight

charliepeterson
04-26-2005, 18:16
You shouldn't find any water droplets where the oil goes. 180* stats should cook off any condensate in the pan. The truck came with 195's and it will or should get better fuel mileage at this range. If it over heats we have issues somewhere.

The next time you drop the oil clean out the drop bucket real good and let the oil sit in it. If you have coolant in it it should show up. Does the top hose get hard before the thermostat opens? This is bad. What kind of pyro numbers do you see on a hard pull? Do you have any white smoke?

k3500
04-26-2005, 18:24
Truck doesn't overheat. Pyro numbers are good, I have an intercooler. No white smoke.

More Power
04-27-2005, 07:55
A couple things....

Are you slowly losing coolant?

Might be worth having the engine oil analyzed. It'll show whether there is any glycol in the oil.

MP

k3500
04-27-2005, 16:38
I just changed it today before leaving for work. It looked clean. I'll check it tonight and see if any water has settled. Yes I was losing some water, but I found a hose that was leaking when I pressurized the system.