PDA

View Full Version : Got her back, today!

DickWells
06-03-2010, 18:36
Got the Sierra back, with new injectors, and one new cup, which came out with one of the old ones. Just under four $grand. Truck is running real well again. Will I ever trust it? Don't know, yet.
I need to do some hard thinking about what I'm going to do in the near future.
* It seems that the best injectors that are available, are the ones that are in there now. If, as Simmonds Rockwell says, that LB7 injectors are only good for 50K miles, do I want to plan on 4 G's every two years?! I don't REALLY think that I believe them, based on the rest of the smoke that they tried blowing up my rear!
* Do I start looking to trade, and maybe go back to a Cummins, or even an 06-07 DM? Hey, I'd trust a good-clean 7.3 FURD, even.
*Gonna think about finding a donor 06-07 engine and tranny, too.
*Really have to get busy and look into the transfer case fix, too. I hear that it makes no difference if you do 99.9% of your driving in 2WD, the things going to wear a hole, sooner or later. ????
* Finally, I keep remembering how much I do love this truck. I's the driveablility/power thing. Never have seen anything like it. Put the Edge in level 2 (tow), and you've got more power than you have any right to expect. Not that I have a heavy foot; always been very easy on the go pedal and the brakes, on all my vehicles, but, when you need it, it's there in spades, with the DM. So, can I be happy, just to keep on with it, and throw money at it, when, and if, it lets me down on the road? Don't know. Maybe it's just a matter of letting Time do it's thing.

SoTxPollock
06-04-2010, 13:36
I face a similar decision, I really like almost everthing about my truck. It made 161,000 miles before it started the white smoke thing, they started the injector replacement yesterday, unfortunately I'm having to pay for all of it too.
I'd like to see your guy show you proof that they are replacing injectors every 50,000 miles. I don't believe that.

I was planning earlier this year to drive up to Kennedy's place and get them to work on my truck doing similar things he's done to his own 02 LB7, but when it started making oil, I knew I had waited too long to try and make that far a trip. I hate undependable equipment of any kind. I take such good care of my vehicles I expect them to run flawlessly for as long as I want to keep them. So like you I'll have to see how well it runs with the new injectors, costing me $4500. I didn't act soon enough, had 20,000 miles before I had time to get a secondary fuel filter on it, by then the injectors were probably pretty messed up already with the old style filter they came out with at first. At least these injectors will be running on clean fuel from the beginning.

Kennedy
06-05-2010, 07:10
Three keys:

Filtration
Lift pump
Quality emulsifying additive

DickWells
06-06-2010, 13:07
Well. -------- With over 400 miles of towing under it's belt, with no tuner installed, I have to say that the thing is running well, again. John's words are good fodder for thought. I'll be studying the possiblilities.
My "guy" is really not my guy, at all! I had the truck yanked out of there a week ago last Friday. I took it to Niche Inc. in Hornell, NY. He's not a GM dealer, just a good diesel guy, who doesn't throw a bunch of bull. "IF" I could have had my unit brought back home, or, "IF" I'd had the forethought to take it to the dealer in Longview, WA, before I headed cross-country, I probably wouldn't be crying the "Non-covered injector replacement Blues!"
That stealer, mentioned above is about the worst thing that could happen to Government Motors. My home-town dealer called us on Friday, while we were towing on home, to check on how we made out. He was the one who could get us 1/3 coverage, sight-un-seen. I actually paid $5 and change for gaskets; the same "special" gaskets that the stealer was charging over $500 for! That's just one indicator of how honest that outfit is.:mad:
Good to be back home. Thanks for the sympathy.

Mark Rinker
06-09-2010, 04:59
Its truly gallons of fuel through the system, not miles on the odometer, that should be used to estimate injector life.

My '01 LB7 got its first set at 16XK miles. The '02 LB7 at 17XK miles, and that set was in it at 285K when sold.

The Kodiak had two replacement sets done by 140K, but gallons of fuel consumed would have been similar to a daily driver with double the miles at its 7mpg towing averages.

My .02 worth?

Run the truck for 30-50K to recoup some of your investment in the new sprays; always using a good fuel treatment.
Treat yourself to a new 2006-2007 LBZ, and never look back.