PDA

View Full Version : PUMP Turning tool

Truckie117
06-06-2010, 19:09
PUMP Turning tool
Does anyone know where I can get the pump turning tool not the wrenches I have those.
Or the mesurements so I can build one? I have car code scanner and the pump is out of tdc and is too far out to relearn I have the pump loose but cant turn it by hand. so I need that special spanner.

npauli
06-06-2010, 19:25
I don't know the pump in question, but I've had to improvise a number of times to do something similar. At work we would strain gage the shafts of all kinds of pump and other gizmos, and would have to be able to calibrate them by applying torque to the ends.

What's that end look like? What have you got to hang on to? A couple of my favorite tricks:

1) Use one of those oil filter wrenches that have a little rack & pinion to grab the filter as you loosen w/ a ratchet. Works great for any gear the right size, but can only go in one direction and can only take so much load.
2) Use a flat bar and drill 2 holes the right distance apart to insert roll pins to grab the gear.
3) Gear/shaft in a vice (gently, w/ something softer) and put your torque on the housing.
4) Filter strap

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2010, 22:48
The spanner won't help, if you can't turn it by hand. It needs a firm rap with a rubber mallet (don't hit it with your purse). The gasket is seized, and needs to be broken loose. This is best achieved with a firm impact. Turn it slow, and it will tear the gasket, and it will stack when you turn the pump (not good). I've been adjusting these pumps for over 20 years, and the pump wrench I have (somewhere) was used once. Since then, it just got in the way.