PDA

View Full Version : R&R Fuel Manager Help

TDI_Convert
06-07-2010, 08:53
I need a bit of advice/help in figuring out what I need to do to fix a slight fuel leak on Dad's 1997 Suburban. He has the set of factory repair manuals, but I won't lay eyes on them 'till this weekend. The truck is here, and the manuals are 100 miles away.

There is a fuel leak that is dripping off of his starter. Not enough to show on the underside of the truck, but enough to make a puddle on the garage floor. There is no sign of fuel coming from the injectors/cap/return lines, but there is wetness on the fuel manager and in the floor of the valley.

What steps do I take to R&R the fuel manager, and what's a good source for parts to fix it? I'm assuming that the fuel heater is leaking. He has 267K on the truck, and the IP and injectors were replaced in October. This leak just started a week ago and the truck has been parked since.

I removed the trans (2-wd) because I really thought it was trans fluid.:o That wasn't fun because of the aftermarket mandrel crossover pipe and one of the nuts is frozen to the exhaust manifold stud....

He runs dyed fuel (I know, I know) and it didn't smell like diesel. What was puzzling was that it was only dripping off of the starter, not from the torque converter dust cover. No signs of a trans leak, nor are the trans cooler lines leaking. But when the smell test was compared to a sample of his fuel from the tank, they smelled alike.

Thanks for any tips you have.

Lug
06-07-2010, 11:37
On my 94'burb it is two bolts that hold the filter assy to the back of the intake manifold and 3 hose clamps. Found it easiest to take the wiring loom plugs off of the bracket so that their mounting bracket is out of the way.
Justin

john8662
06-07-2010, 11:52
Start with the o-ring on the fuel filter heater, This o-ring seals the heater assembly to the bottom of the case. The only one that works is the OEM one, get this at the GM shop.

Otherwise, I'd simply recommend just replacing the whole thing as an assembly. Check with Peninsular Diesel as they often have these as new pulls off engine assemblies, pretty inexpensive if I recall correctly.

Robyn
06-07-2010, 17:28
These fuel managers have a nasty habit of rotting out in the lower part of the heater unit.

You can replace the heater unit with a new one is a GM Part.

I personally would recommend tossing the Stock fuel manager and installing a Racor 230R2 filter assembly up front.

This is an easy thing to do. Simply add a length of line from the factory inlet line to the new filter.
Run a feed line from the filter to the inlet of the IP.

The Racor filter is far superior to the factory filter.

Make sure that the leak is not just a leaking hose.
The bottom line that runs forward to the fuel water drain.
This hose can leak due to chaffing.

Keep us posted

Lug
06-07-2010, 20:13
Just did this mod today on my 94 K2500 'burb. Couldn't find o rings to reseal the heater. Couldn't find a replacement heater either. Chevy dealer would sell me a new fuel manager assy for $218. The Parker Store had a Racor 230R2 for $161 so I went that route. Will order the fuel heater later since it will be needful come winter. Mounted it on the firewall between the brake master cylinder and the fender. Used 1.25 inch long threaded spacers to give some room.
Justin

JohnC
06-08-2010, 10:54
First, make sure the hoses on the bottom of the fuel manager aren't loose!

Used to be you could get a cheap, new, takeoff fuel manager from Peninsular Diesel.

TDI_Convert
06-08-2010, 21:49
Thanks guys. I'll contact Peninsular tomorrow and have Dad see if he can get a gasket from the GM dealer before the weekend. I'll keep you posted on the results. I doubt that he wants to install a different filter set-up. He rarely tows, and 99% of the time he runs fuel that he has at his place. Those tanks are double filtered/water separated before the fuel ever reaches the truck. He's the orig owner of the truck as well.

TDI_Convert
06-09-2010, 09:41
Peninsular has one, I should have it tomorrow. I'll post what I find after I get it out of the truck tomorrow. Thanks!

TDI_Convert
06-10-2010, 20:21
The Fuel Manager arrived about 10:00 a.m. today and I changed it out this afternoon. The leak is gone. Thanks very much guys!

Dad tried to get the heater and o-ring from a dealer and they said that those parts weren't available seperately. They tried to sell him a new fuel manager for $280.00. He declined.

Thanks again.

6.5TDTahoe
06-20-2010, 22:50
Good info & delivery time . How many $$$. Are all years the exact same part? Dry/newFilter element included?

kanui
07-08-2010, 15:47
These fuel managers have a nasty habit of rotting out in the lower part of the heater unit.

You can replace the heater unit with a new one is a GM Part.

I personally would recommend tossing the Stock fuel manager and installing a Racor 230R2 filter assembly up front.

This is an easy thing to do. Simply add a length of line from the factory inlet line to the new filter.
Run a feed line from the filter to the inlet of the IP.

The Racor filter is far superior to the factory filter.

Keep us posted

The original fuel manager has a drain line fitting also. What would a person do about that line?