PDA

View Full Version : White smoke on start up

p38js
06-08-2010, 16:30
My suburban has been puffing white smoke on start up now for a few months thought it was just the cold weather but not the case. It smells like diesel fuel not coolant. I have new injectors and glow plugs. It does not smoke under hard acceleration (white or black). It starts fairly hard in the mornings, new batteries installed, 12volts on the gage after glows go off. stop the truck and restart no smoke, let it sit for 8hrs and heavy white smoke again. could it be my IP pump failing? I have no codes or engine light. Truck has never run better. any suggestion

rameye
06-08-2010, 16:38
sounds like classic bad glows...or bad glow relay..

I had installed a new batch of plugs a while back...5 of the 8 were dead in under 6 months

DaveBr
06-08-2010, 17:22
Check your lift pump to see if it is operational.

p38js
06-08-2010, 17:37
99% sure lift pump is working but will double check, Is there an electical way to check the glows and relay? Can I pull them out and check them out of the engine?

Robyn
06-08-2010, 19:18
Glow plugs are easy to check and replace.

If the glows are working ok and the beast still caughs up a cloud of Blueish to white smoke, the issue is likely the injector POP pressure is low and the injectors are peeing a sloppy stream instead of spraying a nice clean cone of mist.

How many miles on the injectors.
If they are on the backside of 100K then the issue is very probably the injectors.

As long as the injectors are in top shape the rig should fire and clear quickly even with 2-3 glows not working (warm weather)..

Keep us posted

Missy

p38js
06-09-2010, 09:53
Glows and injectors were installed at the same time about 5000 miles ago and both were from Heath Diesel.

westport70
06-09-2010, 12:36
to check the glow plugs just pull the wire off and with your vom meter check for restistance if they are bad they will show open. I don t know what the resistance should if they are good but if they are open you can bet they are bad.