PDA

View Full Version : turbo boost modification

gilbertmonchat
04-26-2005, 18:39
i want to increase my boost level but i don't no, if i go to mecanic system or other system, now my system was with wastegate (vacum ) but my vacum pump failed down, i have to replace it, but at the same time i saw a lot of info about mecanic system, or other system, and i not sure if i really anderstand about the boost control......if i put mecanic system ...the boost level are always at the same point or not??????, the EGR will fonction or not???? and i have to change the vacum pump or not?????? and mecanic was ajustable or not?????....

GMC Hauler
04-26-2005, 19:35
Here is a good link that should help you with the electronic vs mechanical. There are a few good things about the electronic that are not listed in that link. Click Here. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008328)

I've gone totally mechanical and have removed the vacuum pump. My vacuum pump started making a rattling noise even after I wasn't using it. Subsequently, if you know which part of the vacuum pump you need and it is not the part that went bad on me, you can have mine for shipping. Click Here. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000367)

Boost varied based on RPM and your throttle setting. It is 0 at idle, and can be around max under full load.

Some good things about the electronic since that first post: You don't always need full boost, and over boosting your engine can shorten life span. Here is something that hints about too high of boost: Click Here. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008566)

Do you have the EGR System? if so, there are ways to bypass that. Do a search for that topic. I didn't have EGR om my Suburban.

If you have any questions, just ask.

gilbertmonchat
04-26-2005, 19:56
you i am from quebec canada, and my english was not very good, but it's so SUPER to have a forum with some correct guy's, who are always ready to help people, thank you, ...and GMC HAULER thank's for your offer about vaccum pump.
if i anderstand correctly the boost(turbo) are not always on. and if i put mechanical system i have some risk to boost for nothing some time , and the electonic system are saver.

GMC Hauler
04-26-2005, 20:33
You are corret, sometimes you don't necessarly need boost. The mechanical system will give it to you anyway, but the electrical system will give little to no boost. This situation is most prevalent when crusing down the highway with no load.

Each system has it advantages and disadvantages. You must decide which is more important to you. Good luck.

gilbertmonchat
04-27-2005, 18:22
i think i gone a go to the original system (vacuum pump and wastegate), because i think it's more saver(maybe i'm wrong) but with all senors, (atmospheric,and other) i think it's the best way, but i what to be capable to adjust the boost turbo like i wan't and when i need from the inside ................GMC HAULER i interest of your offer (vacuum pump).