PDA

View Full Version : Do I Really Need To Remove The Intake Manifold?

JADennis
06-09-2010, 13:53
I am attempting to relocate my PMD to the area behind the license plate. The OEM is at the front of the engine with the wiring harness underneath the intake manifold with the wires running under the manifold toward the rear of the engine. Before I start tearing down the top of my engine, is there another way to access the wiring harness that goes into the side of the FSD?

Thanks in advance!

John

john8662
06-09-2010, 14:08
Yep, leave the old PMD on the pump, just disconnect the electrical connection in the area you have to work. Then you'll be able to connect your extension harness and move your FSD where you'd like.

J

JADennis
06-09-2010, 14:17
My problem is while I can see the plug on the side of the original PMD, I can not reach it because it is under the intake manifold. I was hoping there was some way to "back door" disconnecting the old one without removing the manifold.

joed
06-09-2010, 14:51
I've found it's easier to access if you remove the 'top hat' portion of the manifold (6 bolts), especially on the dual thermostat models.

You'll also likely need to use a long, flat blade screwdriver to pry the tab on the PMD connector - it's easier to access this from the side in between the lower intake runners, rather than from the top. Then you can fish the harness out to connect to your extension harness.

Hope this helps.

Joe.

JADennis
06-09-2010, 15:51
The screwdriver and coat hanger trick worked! I did not end up having to remove any pieces. Thanks for all of your advice. It is off for the test drive, now.

God bless you all!

john8662
06-10-2010, 09:26
Don't forget about the calibration resistor, you'll need this sooner or later as the PCM will check again for it. It's stuck inside the old PMD, make a tool to retrieve this out of wire (been there done that).

J

JADennis
06-11-2010, 05:59
I was lazy and just bought a new one (#5) when I bought the extension cable and FAD. The old PMD was still working, usually, so I left all that intact just incase something happened and I needed to get home.

phantom309
06-19-2010, 09:22
God bless you all!
er..... thanks?

Nick