PDA

View Full Version : 96 6.5 no start...help

w6bauer
06-12-2010, 20:10
Drove 6 hours straight no problem yesterday no problems drove today and it started to misfire here and there. Everytthing smoothed out after a couple miles then I parked at the house now I've got a no start condition. Checked all fuses, all good. Lift pump is running. No smoke from exhaust like no fuel. Please help I am in northern Michigan now and I've got to work in indianapolis on Monday. I need the beast to run for me. Its gotta be something simple any ideas?

thank you In advance

Will

Burning Oil
06-12-2010, 20:36
What is you fuel Pressure? Did you check grounds on PS intake? Do you have another PMD to try?

w6bauer
06-12-2010, 22:50
Don't know fuel pressure; tester in indy. Grounds good. Have old pmd still on pump going to plug in in the morning. shop manual back at home too where do I test for power to pump? I guess I need to crack injectors to see if I have fuel to there. I hear a click when the key is tuned then I hear the lift pump running and glow plugs cycling.

Burning Oil
06-13-2010, 06:25
Check glow plugs. Check you are getting 12v to them and ohm them to see if they are still good. If you cant test them then maybe just replace the 4 on Driver side. 4 working should start the truck if it was GPs problem. Auto zone has the Duratherms.
What year is your truck?
You can jumper the LP relay or fuse depending on year and open filter drain if you get lots of fuel the LP shold be good (quick & dirty test) IP will draw fuel even if LP stoped working, so most likely not a LP problem. Fuel filter could be pluged up, but it would have to be real bad for a no start condition.
My mind still gos back to GPs.

Edit: after I hit submit I now see your sig. On a 1996 you can jump LP relay.

w6bauer
06-13-2010, 09:07
7 out of 8 glows are good im getting good fuel flow from lift pump when i turn the key forward as well as when i jump the pump. starting to crack injectors loose to see if i have fuel to there, waiting for the penetrating oil to loosen the line up, theyre trying to spin and kink. anything else i can check now? how can i test fuel shutoff solenoid? injection pump?

w6bauer
06-13-2010, 14:27
Found burnt connection at pmd extension harness. Got it from pensacola diesel less than a year ago. Pulled wires and soldered to pins instead of crimping. gotter goin to indy will try to get replacement from pensacola for no charge I feel it is in order. Thanks for the help guys

Burning Oil
06-14-2010, 10:34
Let me guess, The wires in you harness are all colored black? Did the original PMD on pump still work?