PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster sound

Govt issue
12-30-2004, 12:49
Has any one heard the flowmaster any series on the 6.5td. I would like a muffler to sound like a dump truck. Not like a 350 with some glasspacks. no offense. you know, like it is 800 cid.

markrinker
12-30-2004, 14:28
If you want it to sound like a dump truck, mimick the dump truck's exhaust. You already have equal displacement and two more cylinders than alot of dump truck engines have.

HUGE 5" or 6" tubes + HUGE unbaffled mufflers should do the trick. My Ford L8000 has at least 5" tube and a muffler nearly 4 feet long and 12" around!!!

Somewhere I read that the most efficient exhaust system for a turbo-diesel would be a trumpet shaped cone from the turbo directly out through the fender well. Its only purpose would be to carry heat away from the turbo and from under the hood.

I wonder what THAT would sound like? Probably horrible...

grape
12-30-2004, 19:32
a chambered muffler will kill performance on anything with a turbo. I know of a 500 horse stock block turbo'd mustang that had the flowmasters replaced with dynomax race magnums and it promptly made in the high 530's and split the block down the cam journal on the dyno.

moral of the story, everybody knows that around 500 horse is where a stock 302 block will break right down the center. My friends never imagined that a muffler change would create that much difference in power.

[ 12-30-2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: grape ]

DA BIG ONE
12-31-2004, 00:47
Originally posted by grape:
a chambered muffler will kill performance on anything with a turbo. . And, in my case caused the chambered race flowmaster I tried became a super heater melting off undercoating & burning hangers & paint!

patrick m.
12-31-2004, 14:58
our v-8 diesels wont make the sound you are after, i'm affraid.
that "trade mark" sound comes only from an in-line six diesel such as the Cummins.
Thats why the dodge guys sound like dump trucks

TurboDiverArt
12-31-2004, 18:08
Originally posted by Patrick m.:
our v-8 diesels wont make the sound you are after, i'm affraid.
that "trade mark" sound comes only from an in-line six diesel such as the Cummins.
Thats why the dodge guys sound like dump trucks I'm sure having indirect injection deosn't help.

Art.

Govt issue
01-01-2005, 07:43
Does anyone live within driving distance of Tupelo, MS. If so I would drive to hear the sound of a 6.5 td exhaust.