PDA

View Full Version : replacing head gasket

smadge
06-17-2010, 05:08
OK, finally getting into it today. Replacing head gasket...hope all goes well. Will come back with how it is going.

smadge
06-17-2010, 09:09
OK, 2 hrs in and I feel like no progress is being made. Got some stuff outta the way and fuel filter housing off. Draining radiator while I take a quick lunch break. It is hot as balls!! 90s and humid, I am sweating like a pig and want a beer.:D

More Power
06-17-2010, 10:15
I've heard from GM mechanics who explain that the engine and all of the "stuff" are layered. To help you during re-assembly, take notes, shoot digital images and separate fasteners into groups that are placed in labeled containers. Do one head gasket at a time. This'll reduce the amount of parts laying around and reduce the chance of contamination.

The A/C compressor can be unbolted, then suspended from the hood a few inches above the engine. The A/C hoses don't need to be removed - thus losing the charge.

Jim

smadge
06-17-2010, 11:47
Good call on the compressor, it was looking to be a prob. Got the camera there and photographing everything.
Only doing the pax side so shouldn't be too much stuff lying around.

about ready to start unbolting the head.

lb7lbz
06-17-2010, 13:59
in the middle of the same job on my 01 right now. i pulled my cab off to make things easier, only took 3 hours to pull it. dont know if you have access to a lift but if you do i would consider it an option. wiring, then fuel lines, then valve covers like they said it is layered. power steering can also be layed off to the side.

smadge
06-17-2010, 15:15
I am a dum bass. It is not the head gasket but the valve cover gasket that is leaking. I could see where it was leaking and a buddy confirmed it with me and because I am a rookie I thought that it was the head gasket. Nope, valve spring cover...just not entirely sure why it seems that diesel was coming out of it. But, it dam sure appeared to be coming out of there. Anyhow, I pick up my new gasket in the AM. Now I am ready to clean everything and prepare to put it back together tomorrow.