PDA

View Full Version : electric fans

Govt issue
04-27-2005, 05:33
Has anyone taken off there stock fan and add a high cfm electric fan. They have one in summit that will pull 3300 cfm, 16 inch 18 amp. Then you could space the radiator towards the water pump making room for an intercooler. Any thoughts.

Govt issue
04-27-2005, 05:52
flexalite has a fan just for our trucks! go to there web site part no 280 5500 cfm made for the diesel.

JohnC
04-27-2005, 06:09
Do a search. This one's been beat to death. Neither 3300 cfm or 5500 cfm hold a candle to the stock fan once the clutch engages.

moondoggie
04-27-2005, 07:53
Good Day!

Ditto. I remember that someone determined that the stock clutch fan moves ~ 10,000 cfm. I haven't yet seen anything electric that's close.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

ogrice
04-30-2005, 14:14
I run dual electric fans. They fit underneath the stock fan shroud. I figure that my waterpump bearings are going to last longer. If you go to electric fans you will experience less engine noise in the cab, but you have to beware about heavy traffic. Cooling is going to depend a lot on how fast you are going.

CareyWeber
04-30-2005, 17:22
Originally posted by ogrice:
I run dual electric fans. They fit underneath the stock fan shroud. I figure that my waterpump bearings are going to last longer. If you go to electric fans you will experience less engine noise in the cab, but you have to beware about heavy traffic. Cooling is going to depend a lot on how fast you are going. ogrice,

How many water pumps do you think your going to go through?

I have +191K miles on my factory water pump and it is still tight. Mine came with Dexcool and the aluminum radiator and I know that helps keep the coolant cleaner. I've do one coolant change @ about 125K miles and thats it.

As far as electric fans go I have wondered if one was added in addition to the stock system if it would help.

Carey

ogrice
05-02-2005, 12:36
I hope that I go through zero water pumps. I've run dual electric fans in the stock coolant configuration before. Unfortunately, not without helping to keep the engine temps down if i had kept the mechanical fan. If you intend to add an electric fan, I'm sure that it will help. You can probably place a pusher fan right over the oil cooler. That should help out.