PDA

View Full Version : Have there really been up-grades to fuel filters?

DickWells
06-21-2010, 08:40
Stopped in at Burlington Diesel the other day, with questions prompted by my recent bad injector experience. We talked about the three issues that John K. posted in here, to do with potential longevity for the LB7 injectors -- * Lift pump - * Filtration - * Emulsifying additive.
Now, lift pumps, and additive are easilly dealt with in several ways, but the filtration issue brought up some serious discussion, mainly about the OEM Duramax filters. B. D.'s manager says he's been privy to about 3 changes to the OEM GM filters, and he believes that there's been a conflict of oppinions among GM, Bosch and Raycor, as to who's to blame for all the DM inj. failures. He pointed out that Raycor was the orriginal supplier, and that they (Raycor) have up-graded their filter 3 times. This guy believes that the current filter is much more capable of removing water from the fuel than the earlier ones. He also thinks that, though the other after-market (non Raycor mfg.) filters of course fit, that they haven't kept up with the latest standards, and may be the reason why we're seeing inj. failures.
I got to thinking along these lines: I've always used Baldwin filters, when I could get them. I've NEVER, had so much as a drop of water in the bottom of my filter drain! Could this be that since I'm not using a genuine Raycor filter that the water is just being pumped on through and being burned, as J. K. says can happen, without added filtration, and an emulsifying additive?
I've noticed for a long time, that the Baldwin fuel filters are all made in China, while the Raycor filter that I was shown last week was printed with "Made in the USA". Interestingly, that filter was $40, while the next previous model sold for $32. The reason being, apparently, that there has been a recent up-grade to the filter. Also interesting, is that I paid $42 for a Chinese made one in Brownsvill, TX, about 3 months ago!
A long way around asking for comments from the experts on the Diesel Page, huh?

More Power
06-22-2010, 22:13
Evolving filter specs is one reason why I don't buy too many filters at a time. I always have at least one new fuel filter (the latest available) on hand as a spare while traveling. I use that one when the filter needs replacing, then replace that one with a new one. Buy from one of the higher volume dealers - like those who advertise here. If you buy from a local dealer, ask how many they sell a month to get an idea how fresh their stock might be.... ;)

Jim

Kennedy
06-23-2010, 07:26
The original KD Mega filter uses an element with "water stripping properties" and I have yet to hear from anyone who has collected water in theirs. I'll stick with the Baldwin OE replacements as they are well built and work well.

I have heard of issues with the new filters when using bio fuels which does not surprise me. Restriction and short service life are what I have heard. IL and MN have a low percentage bio blend but it's just enough to create issues.

DickWells
06-23-2010, 09:56
So, was the Burlington Diesel guy wrong, when he said that Raycor was the orriginal supplier? I'd always heard that Baldwin was, until he told me that.

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2010, 10:43
So, was the Burlington Diesel guy wrong, when he said that Raycor was the orriginal supplier? I'd always heard that Baldwin was, until he told me that.

Racor was, and is (currently named Parker-Racor) the OEM mfg for the filters. If a dealer is stocking anything else, it isn't "OEM". I've used Baldwin, Wix, and OEM/Racor over the years, each of the latest design of the time. None have failed, or seem to have failed, to do their job. I have drained water from them while traveling far from home (questionable fuel supply, but can't be too picky on the road). This was early on (2001-02), but haven't seen any sign of water since faithfully using an emulsifying additive. GM recommends a demulsifying additive (namely, Stanadyne), and places the responsibility of water handling on the filter and WIF indicator. IMO, not such a good idea. By the time the WIF indicator sets, there will be a significant amount of water accumulated in the filter. The WIF "sensor" is a float. Enough water to float (sufficient to trigger the switch) the float is a lot. By that time, the issue is past-tense. The WIF and filter system will not be effective against minor water issues, in any case, other than denying passage through the filter media (which I have a low confidence level of this, with significant amounts).

Using an emulsifying additive is much misunderstood. The emulsifiers used in all current (popular) additives don't just let the water "mix" with the fuel, but renders the water absolutely benign to the fuel system. Water, by itself, is completely harmless to a Diesel engine (short of a hydro-lock condition). The problem lies with the fuel system high pressure fuel-lubricated parts (injection pump, injectors, etc.). Water diminishes the fuel's lubrication ability. Emulsifying additives prevent this from happening by "encapsulating" the water molecules and breaks the surface tension (allows water passage through the filter media). In any case, the effect of a large volume of water contamination will be the same, with or without the additive. The additives are formulated and capable of handling only very small incidental amounts of water (which occurs in all motor fuels, to some degree). The fuels absorb moisture from the air, all the time, every time, and in most cases is such a low amount it isn't an issue. Problems occur when a higher percentage of water contaminates the system, and a larger volume of water passes through the system at once. (more on this, if you're still curious)

JohnC
06-23-2010, 12:28
"If they sell them, they must be OK..."

My understanding has always been that water in Diesel fuel causes problems when it gets into the injector because of its much higher heat capacity compared to fuel. The water causes "super cooling" of parts of the (hot) nozzle and they end up warping and seizing, however briefly, and long term damage is almost inevitable. Maybe old info, or maybe an old wife's tale, but I remain skeptical. I do know that the tolerances in today's nozzles are pretty tight...

DickWells
06-26-2010, 12:53
OK. Thanks for the good info. I'll be buying a 5 gal can of Stanadyne, and a Racor filter, very soon. The Burlington Diesel guy said he was told there are only four brands of additive which are actually emulsifying, and Stndyn is one of them.
I always used Stndyn in the old Burb. Guess I should have stuck with it.
An interesting asside, to me, is that I've filled up a couple hundred times, with threee different diesels, in 49 states and 5 provinces, since 99, and I'm the only one whom I've ever seen putting in an additive! I've had sneers, scowls, grins, questions, ("What's that?"), and comments, ("I'd never put anything like that in my tank!"), but never had someone else use an additive, while I was fueling up. HMM? I have, however, met a few owners who have struck up conversations about their experiences with injector replacement, blown turbos, etc.

DmaxMaverick
06-26-2010, 16:29
The Burlington Diesel guy is mistaken. There are at least 20 additive brands (that I've seen, probably more), most of which are emulsifiers. Stanadyne is NOT one of them. This is what GM recommends, and they state specifically to not use an emulsifier (many/most of us disagree with them). GM places much too much confidence in their chosen method of fuel filtration. Or (my theory), they insist on it so they have a reason for warranty denial. If you have a warranty claim related to the fuel system (pump, injectors, etc.), they will not honor the claim if they suspect, or find, any water in the system. An emulsifying additive removes that evidence. If they can blame water for any failure, it's instantly someone else's fault, and claim denied.

Kennedy
06-27-2010, 06:35
You can lead a horse to water...

DickWells
06-27-2010, 09:13
OoohKaay------, so, now what do I want to use for an additive?:confused:

conway
06-27-2010, 20:57
Go with Kennedy's FPPF mixture. I have not done the research but I trust his experience. We all have to believe in something and I believe I will have another beer.

EdHale
06-28-2010, 04:51
I have to agree with conway. I have been using FPPF since my truck was new and I have never seen any water in the filter. I always drain out a bit when changing the filter and have never seen a drop. Maybe I have been lucky or maybe the FPPF is working. Either way, I'm going to continue using it.

Thanks John.

Spoolmak
07-01-2010, 08:55
The injectors were done on my 04 last October (under warranty, no fuss, no muss) with 120,000 km (78,000 miles) on the odometer.

Until then I had faithfully changed fuel filters, OEM or Balwin, every 20,000 km (12,500 miles) and used Stanadyne performance additive every fill up since 20,000km. When travelling, and at home I always buy fuel from a high volume outlet. None of this made a difference. The injectors failed to the point that when I went to the dealership to have the coolant replaced, they came to me to tell me they wanted to do the injectors under warranty.

On another post I complained about the new OEM filter cost - with 15% parts discount, still $94 Canadian. Despite that, I bought and installed one. I then went to parts stores to see what filters they stocked and found a Racor at Canadian Tire for just over $40 Canadian. I took the filter out to look at it and would swear that it was absolutely identical to the OEM filter I had just put in. Same exterior, identical thicker plastic wrap with bulge in top, O rings in separate plastic bag folded in half and inserted into bottom of filter, same sculpted upper centre seal, same white paint which just misses the inside large O ring retaining lip, same larger lower water compartment with identically coloured plastic and metal inside. It sure seems like they are the OEM manufacturers.

I carry a spare fuel filter at all time and the tools to change it.

Tor