PDA

View Full Version : Looked at an 87 6.2L 4x4

Jazen
06-23-2010, 20:38
Engine started up with just a little of the owner depressing the gas pedal, BUT it was already warm once I got there, they had obviously run it previously. No smoke from the exhaust, the oil filler cap revealed nothing, no fumes, clouds, etc. The engine compartment was dated, but not all ripped apart. THere was rust on the bottoms of the back doors (barn door rears) and there was rust on the bottoms of the other doors, spotty. The front wheel wells at the back were rusted through on both sides. No coolant leaks, no fuel leaks, there was oil (I think it was oil) leaking on the right side. The car drove fine, steering was wobbly, brakes were hard as rocks. All doors opened and closed poorly, as if they didn't line up. The original seats were gone and crappy 90s seats in their place. The radio was ripped out, windshield cracked. They were asking 5500 without an OBO in the ad. I didn't want to insult them with a lowball offer, so I said I would call them tomorrow.
Thoughts?

jmac5058
06-24-2010, 02:55
Is it a suburban,blazer or crewcab?Those years often have worn door hindges so the doors out of whack do not mean something real bad neccessarly.What are your plans for the truck? A daily driver, tow rig or construction work ect?

Robyn
06-24-2010, 07:00
Sounds like you are in salt country.

If you dont mind a Plane flight, watch craigs list for the west coast and come out and get a lovely older rig that is pristine and for less $$$$

I purchased a 91 Burb that was near new inside and the paint was fairly good except the hood. $1500

This is an exception on the price but $5500 for a rust bucket is way too much.

Missy

arveetek
06-24-2010, 07:02
That is WAY overpriced!!! From your description, I would say $1500 to $2000 would be more realistic. There's an 83 Suburban 6.2L 4x4 for sale near me, and they're only asking $1300. It sounds pretty close to the one you're looking at. And they've had it for sale for a while now.

For $5500, it should be in excellent condition. You can purchase a later model 6.5L Suburban with more creature comforts, in great condition, and one that drives much better for about that same price.

I only paid $4900 for my 95 6.5L Tahoe nearly 5 years ago. It didn't have any rust or body issues, and hasn't needed much repairs, even with over 200K on the clock.

Casey

Jazen
06-24-2010, 07:49
Thank you for all the replies. I wholeheartedly agree that it is overpriced.
To answer some of the various questions:
It's a suburban, I was planning on using it for a camping/going into the mountains truck.
Missy, I live in the PNW, but the truck came from Chicago, supposedly.
The owner couldn't give any maintainence history, which was disappointing, she didn't ven know for sure how long they had it.
I like the fact that this engine is mechanically fuel injected, instead of electronic. Was this the last year for that?
THanks again.
Jason

JohnC
06-24-2010, 08:00
I like the fact that this engine is mechanically fuel injected, instead of electronic. Was this the last year for that?

1993 ......

Robyn
06-24-2010, 11:36
Here is a Link to a diesel Burb over at the coast.

Looks fairly good body wise (Piccy's can lie)

Guy probably will dicker

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/1808015181.html

Loads of these rigs at good prices and in fairly good shape.