PDA

View Full Version : When to replace water hoses?

mattb5150
06-24-2010, 08:22
Just had the '03 in the local shop for power steering growling, alignment, front end check etc. Upon picking up the truck the manager said his guy noted a few items to be aware of including that the hoses appeared original. After 7 years and 125k miles just wondered what peoples thinking is about when they should be replaced? The shops price for the parts alone is over $400. I have renewed the coolant twice already but hate to have a hose blow out on the road somewhere while towing.

I figure this should be a pretty simple job to do at home but isn't there some threat of trapping air in the system and having an EGR cooler issue? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly on that one?

Curious to hear what the guru's think.

Matt

Kennedy
06-24-2010, 11:49
Have you done water pump yet?

At 8 yrs/125k I'd be thinking of a refresh on hoses, water pump etc.

Primary hose issues will be the turbo and EGR cooler hoses as they are hottest.

More Power
06-25-2010, 11:02
I agree with John about the hoses that see the highest coolant temperatures as those that are generally the first to need replaced.

I paid about $130 for just the bottom radiator hose a few years ago. Since it resides on the cool side of the radiator, I'd be inclined to leave it in place as long as it feels OK. Squeeze it with a thumb and fingers to get some idea whether the hose feels soft or if there is any distortion along its length.

Jim

mattb5150
06-28-2010, 09:47
Haven't done the water pump yet but it sounds like a big job in itself, also would dread doing it and having the gear problems reported by some, have those issues been figured out?

It looks like the LB7 has the following hoses: upper radiator, lower radiator(which consists of the main hose plus two smaller "legs" attached), then two heater hoses from the firewall one going to the EGR cooler. John, not sure what you mean by turbo hose, do you mean the intercooler hoses?

Kennedy
06-28-2010, 10:56
Do you have an EGR cooler?

The hoses that I referred to are the small ones that deliver coolant to the turbo. They are pretty flimsy from the getgo...

Change the water pump now or shortly down the road at which time you will need to drain the system again...

mattb5150
06-29-2010, 09:44
Yes I have a Kalifornia truck with the cooler. Do you gentlemen have any of the parts numbers for these hoses on hand?