PDA

View Full Version : Fan Clutch Going

Stratosurfer
06-27-2010, 20:18
All,
Been a might bit warm here in Texas. Drove to Grapevine and back this weekend, a round trip of about 500 miles and I noticed the fan clutch was engaged the majority of the time. Even at 70 MPH and with the temp gauge on about 190, where it always rides, the clutch would kick in for very long periods making that 'monster Hoover' sucking noise. Then, after no temp change, it would freewheel again. I'd say it was engaged about 80% of the entire trip. It was hot, about 95F or better the whole way.
Is this fan clutch shot? It is cycling, but seems to be engaged when I don't believe it should be.
Second question: anyone install an electric stat driven fan to replace engine driven? I suppose someone makes a retrofit with the necessary A/C circuit on the controller.

Thanks

6.5TDTahoe
06-27-2010, 22:20
/IFirst no electric fan can provide the amount of air movement needed under all operating conditiondit.Your operating description sounds fairly normal. I would say it seems your temperature is @ normal. temp You need to understand the F/C engages with very small amount of temperature change. The PAGE has manuals describing what is normal & abnormal. A $30.00 book from thePAGE can educate you on the cooling system.I would recommend a radiator & condenser clean up + a 1999/2000 water pump ,clutch hub & aDuramax fan blade along with a setof OEM AC Delco thermostats. Those parts are the final OEM cooling up grades & they work very well.

DmaxMaverick
06-28-2010, 01:21
If your fan clutch is engaging "too" often, it is working fine. Your problem, if it is in fact too often, will be with the thermostat. Either it/they are too low rated, or are not closing when they should. Using the A/C lowers the threshold a bit, too. A blocked cooling stack (radiator, condenser) will cause it to engage less often with a noted higher ECT, not the other way around. The heated airflow through the stack is what engages the clutch, and nothing else.

Electric fans = bad idea. Especially in Texas, and the Southwest. You may get away with it if your truck is only a grocery getter during cooler weather, but no way for hauling or towing.

Stratosurfer
06-28-2010, 03:56
Thanks guys. I never got hot or really anywhere near except in some long idling in 100F temps in Grapevine. Showed maybe 210F for a short period. Once moving all was well.
I have the latest stats and water pump, maybe I just pressure wash the rads: A/C, oil, and water.
Thanks
MBM