PDA

View Full Version : Had engine scare today :-(

Spoolmak
06-29-2010, 21:43
So my truck crapped out on me today – coming up the big hill in our town it suddenly lost power and made a very bad noise. I nursed it home and started diagnosing. There was no trouble code for the OBD reader. Mmmhh. What could it be?

It idled ok and the engine accelerated ok while standing still, but didn’t like going up hill under load. Fuel filter? Air Filter?

I started with the easy one, the air filter. I took the cover off, lifted the filter out, and found maple tree seed keys just about filling the air filter housing. A critter had obviously established squatter rights, and was storing snacks for those long nights. The ‘snacks’ filled two Costco coffee bags!! I cleaned out the housing, replaced the filter with a new one and put a wire screen over the filter housing air intake, tried it and voila, the problem is gone. I guess when the engine started to breathe hard, the seed keys got sucked up against the bottom of the air filter and just plain stopped air from going through. Who woulda thought???

I shudder to think what would have happened if the whole works had got sucked into the engine.

Amazing. I'm still shaking my head. I'm going to live trap the critter and relocate him to the yard of a person I don't regard highly.....

Tor

Mark Rinker
06-30-2010, 08:18
Like my farmer father used to say...

"Look for the simplest solution to the problem, first."

In the case of Duramaxes, it usually is just that.