PDA

View Full Version : Things to consider on a swap

roclongrider
04-28-2005, 07:52
Good morning,
After 11+ years my '93 with 337,000+ miles said enough. I've worked it to death but it's old and tired. Time to do the major works.
What I have:
1. 93 K3500 extended cab ,4X4 dually, bone stock(except minus the snorkel) 6.5 TD with 4L80E. Lots of miles as above.
2. 94 K2500 extended cab, 4X4, stock, 6.5 TD with a 5 speed and 147,000 miles, and recently been through a flood. I know, raised my hand one too many times on ebay, but it was reasonable.
What do I need to consider in changing the 5 speed and 94 engine into the #1 truck. Want to keep the mechanical pump and have a 5 speed trannie. Still up in the air over to stay dually or srw. Cooling mods, new bigger exhaust, guages etc go without saying. Just trying to plan ahead so there's not too many surprises.
Thanks for any input.

Barry Nave
04-30-2005, 02:27
Is the 94 running? or you plan on taking it apart?

roclongrider
04-30-2005, 04:40
The'94 was running until the flood. I've drained all the fluids and replaced them. I've cleaned all the electrical connections and parts and they're working. I plan on tearing down the engine for a look and see to clean it up, check for cracks, do the new gaskets and oil pump and either a timing chain or gear set.
Barry.

JeffsTowTruck
04-30-2005, 15:55
AS LONG AS IT WAS FRESH WATER IT SHOULD BE OK. HOPE YOU GOT IT CLEANED OUT PRETTY QUICK.
MY TRUCK WAS IN THE HURRICANE OF 98 OR 99 THAT STALLED OVER EASTERN N.C. AND MY TRUCK WAS UNDERWATER FOR SOME TIME.. EXCEPT FOR THE POWER SEAT MOTORS HAVE NOT HAD ANY TROUBLE. I'VE HAD IT FOR 4 YEARS AND IT HAS 65K MILES NOW.
MY MOTOR AND TRANS WAS NOT TORN DOWN JUST CLEANED IT OUT.
I STILL GET SOME SILT ON THE CARPET UNDER THE SEATS SOMETIMES smile.gif
THE DEALER FREAKS WHEN I TAKE IT UP THERE. :eek:
MAYBE IT IS HAS COOTIES!! :D

roclongrider
05-02-2005, 09:07
It was fresh MUDDY water but it was cleaned out within a couple of days. I didn't want rust to get a shot at her.
I'm going to tear it down for peace of mind, but my biggest concerns are going from electronic pump to mechanical and going from a 4L80e to a 5 speed. I'd like it to go fairly smoothly, or at least without much in the way of time holdups!!

Turbo Al
05-02-2005, 11:13
I don't see any problem going to the Mech injection & the 5 speed. You would have what I have now in my 1993 NO FRIGGIN COMPUTER as it is not needed for anything. Only the automatic trans in 1993 needed the computer -- not the motor.
Al

roclongrider
05-02-2005, 13:13
Alright!! So the only thing the computer operates with in the '93 is the auto trannie? I can completely do away with it? That sounds too good to be true. None of the gauges or the speedo operate through it?
I may be living right after all.

ogrice
05-03-2005, 16:17
To Roclongrider:

The setup that you want may be the setup that I currently run right now. Only thing is that my dually is rwd not 4wd. Use the search feature and look up the title "engine rebuild feedback" This entails the build up that I did on my 6.5L.
There are a small handful of things that I left out and there are some more mods added to date, but it is comprehensive.

azblazor
05-03-2005, 20:58
If you are getting rid of your 93 computer and transmission/computer harness, I am needing one. Please email me: mdwhiting at cox.net

Turbo Al
05-03-2005, 21:29
The tack operates through the altenator
Speedo -- I should know but can't remember -- I believe it is cable driven from the DR side of trans but will check tomorrow.
Fuel guage is no brainer
Reverse lights come off switch from top of trans (NV4500) and I believe that is the only wiring on the trans (except mine has a temp sensor installed by me)
One day I should pull my glove box to see if they actually gave me a computer or not tongue.gif
Al

roclongrider
05-06-2005, 09:11
Thanks to all for the help.
ogrice: Definitely some good ideas. Nice job.
It looks like this weekend will be good enough to start gutting the cab of the '93 in prep for addition of pedal assemblies and a shifter in the floor.
Can't wait to get this old gal back on the road!!