PDA

View Full Version : My Intercooler project

suburbanK-2500HD
07-03-2010, 12:40
Here is some pics from my project, got my hands on a used, dented hood.
Fixed the dents, and cut hole in it today.
will remove the supports when i figure out how to replace them with someting else around the hole....

The scoop is from a damaged Subaru Forester Diesel.

Yukon6.2
07-04-2010, 08:44
Hi
Looks like a great project.Would love one for my tow truck.
How about using some heavy guage pipe around the hole,should be able to bend it to match the opening and weld the remaining supports to it.Roll the edge of the hole around it for a finished look a few spot welds should keep the tin from rattling
Keep the pic's coming
Thomas

bl78ljb
07-04-2010, 20:50
Looks great, I can't wait to see the finished photos! When you get done you will have to give us a supply list in case someone wants to duplicate it.

a5150nut
07-04-2010, 22:09
Are you planning on running an electric fan to move air over the cooler when in traffic or slow climbs on long hills?

suburbanK-2500HD
07-06-2010, 11:13
Hi
Looks like a great project.Would love one for my tow truck.
How about using some heavy guage pipe around the hole,should be able to bend it to match the opening and weld the remaining supports to it.Roll the edge of the hole around it for a finished look a few spot welds should keep the tin from rattling
Keep the pic's coming
Thomas

Thanks

There is a insert for the scoop. will post pics later today, then you willse the way it works.

suburbanK-2500HD
07-06-2010, 11:14
Looks great, I can't wait to see the finished photos! When you get done you will have to give us a supply list in case someone wants to duplicate it.

Thanks

No problem, will share, and help anyway i can.

suburbanK-2500HD
07-06-2010, 11:16
Are you planning on running an electric fan to move air over the cooler when in traffic or slow climbs on long hills?

Nope. no fans just natural breathing, It will always be a little heat issue when driving slow, but not worse than other cars with top mounte cooler..

DmaxMaverick
07-06-2010, 11:32
Before you commit to a hood scoop, you should be doing some experimental airflow tests. You may be surprised how the air flows over a vehicle at different ground speeds. The middle of the hood is probably the poorest location for either positive or negative airflow. Just off the cuff, I'd guess your location for the scoop will likely be counter-productive, meaning you'll have a heat soaked heat exchanger, and no way to flow cool air through it when you need it most. In the absence of effective ducting and/or forced air (electric fan, etc.), you may be left with a "feels good, looks good" hood ornament.

DennisG01
07-07-2010, 11:31
Before you commit to a hood scoop, you should be doing some experimental airflow tests. You may be surprised how the air flows over a vehicle at different ground speeds. The middle of the hood is probably the poorest location for either positive or negative airflow. Just off the cuff, I'd guess your location for the scoop will likely be counter-productive, meaning you'll have a heat soaked heat exchanger, and no way to flow cool air through it when you need it most. In the absence of effective ducting and/or forced air (electric fan, etc.), you may be left with a "feels good, looks good" hood ornament.

Along those lines...

Last winter I noticed that snow and ice actually moved forward, faster and faster, on the hood as I drove faster and faster --- NOT due to gravity! Due to air actually rushing forward along the hood.

Below is the thread with a better description (note I have a bug deflector mounted on the front of the hood so this may accentuate what's happening - w/o a deflector, it may not pose nearly as much of a problem for you).

But, take DMax's advice and do some flow tests to see just how high that scoop needs to be in order to be effective. Duct taping some large "L" brackets on the hood (in a few key spots) with yarn tied at various heights would do the trick. On the flip side, your workmanship looks great!

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=36384&highlight=hood

suburbanK-2500HD
07-09-2010, 13:22
I did a quick test today, and it looks ok, i drove at max 60km\h
i used duck tape, and spread it in the area i want to use in a L shape.
From 30km/h - 60km/h they was mooving ok, the tape is 50mm wide.
Will try other speeds, and type of tape...

DmaxMaverick
07-09-2010, 15:03
Just using "tape" is not very good. Tape yarn, string or ribbon (use a color in contrast to the hood color), about 6"/15mm long, to the hood in various locations approximately 8"/20mm apart. You should get a good "picture" of the actual airflow. It helps if you use a video camera to record the results and narrate the speeds as you go. Vary speeds from 20 MPH to your maximum highway speed and note the changes, and hold the speed for a minute or so at each speed change (to eliminate temporary conditions). If you plan to EVER use a bug deflector at any time in the future, all the info you collect without one will be absolutely useless, and will likely negate your efforts. It would be helpful to test with and without one.

suburbanK-2500HD
07-14-2010, 14:00
Hi

i wont be usin the bug deflector with the hood scoop, so when i find time for it, i wil do some more test on the air thingie

suburbanK-2500HD
08-09-2010, 15:24
Her are some pictures from this evening, gettting closer to the end now...

spiff
08-09-2010, 18:59
When NASCAR hoods looked like this the opening was actually at the rear of the hood just in front of the windshield. You might want to take a look at, say a photo of a '65 Ford NASCAR racer and note that the scoop looks like it was on backwards. The highest pressure is at the base of the windshield. The lowest is usually from after the first 1/4 of the hood to near the windshield.
Tufting is the process using yarn that others are recommenting that you do. This is absolutly necessary as intuition about airflow is so often wrong. Also, its not entirely necessary to put the tufting on any support. In fact, the supports will have their own affect on airflow. Just glue the 4-6 inch pieces of yarn directly to the hood. The camera is great idea, and running at different speeds is necessary as the airflow will likely change direction with speed. Also, any traffic going either way will disrupt your experiment. A long untraveled portion of road is necessary to obtain good results.

suburbanK-2500HD
08-23-2010, 10:51
Some updated pics from the hood.

Will get it finished later this week..

93GMCSierra
08-23-2010, 12:29
I would add a pusher fan between the hood opening and the intercooler. It should pull cooler fresh air in at any speed and it wont matter if the opening is not at a high pressure spot.

suburbanK-2500HD
09-10-2010, 08:52
At last the hood is finished.
Installed it yesterday, wil start on the intercooler install today...

arveetek
09-10-2010, 13:08
Very cool! Nice work. I like it.

Casey

suburbanK-2500HD
09-10-2010, 13:19
Very cool! Nice work. I like it.

Casey

Thanks, it came out nice in the end...

:)

JTodd
09-10-2010, 13:27
I am not sure if it will work, but I really like the look of it. Well done.

suburbanK-2500HD
09-10-2010, 13:31
I am not sure if it will work, but I really like the look of it. Well done.

thanks, i think it will work :)

Robyn
09-10-2010, 15:19
Very nice looking job. :)

Lets see the underhood Plumbing parts

Robyn

suburbanK-2500HD
09-10-2010, 21:29
Very nice looking job. :)

Lets see the underhood Plumbing parts

Robyn

Thanks

will post as soon as i am done, during the weekend..

suburbanK-2500HD
09-12-2010, 02:14
Updated pictures from my project..

nr10: protection from debries and water.

nr11: protection installed

nr12,13,14,15: pics of the brackets for the cooler

suburbanK-2500HD
09-12-2010, 02:31
Som more.

nr16: The cooler on the mounts

nr17: intake after modification

nr18: The "plumbing"

nr19: new decals

suburbanK-2500HD
09-13-2010, 11:49
Starting on installing the fan.

it will be mounted under the cooler.

suburbanK-2500HD
10-20-2010, 13:30
Fan installed with a temp.controller that sense the intake air temperature.
i can adjust it from 0-100 degrees.celcius.

Works like a dream
After a normal drive until engine has normal temperature, i can feel a big difference in surface temp from the cooler intake side to the outlet side.
havent measured it but it feels like 20-30 degrees difference.

and that will match the measuring i have done too. i have about 20 degrees lower intake temp after cooler install.

snwmn584
12-29-2010, 18:21
Any Updates?

suburbanK-2500HD
12-30-2010, 16:56
Soon i will getmy car pc installed again, and then i can measur some more.
i had to order a new touch screen...