PDA

View Full Version : Can inj. pump cause intermittent no-start?

tdsub
07-04-2010, 12:28
I've been plagued with an intermittent cold no-start condition on my '98 Suburban and have replaced the lift pump, oil pressure switch, PMD driver (with the SSD improved heat sink), fuel pump relay, fuel pump shutoff solenoid, glow plugs, and fuel injectors, but it still happens intermittently--glows and cranks, but won't start. I just leave it alone for a few days, and then, presto, it starts. SSD says about the only thing left is the injection pump. Can the injection pump cause an intermittent cold no-start? It runs great when it starts, and does start most of the time. Had it towed once, but, sure enough, started right up at the shop. There's 125,000 miles on it and I believe it's original, so maybe I'm due anyway, but would sure like to know if the injection pump is causing this problem. Any ideas? Thanks. TOM

DaveBr
07-04-2010, 19:30
I'm thinking that the IP would throw a code if it was going south. Is the truck cranking at a healthy rate of speed? There is also the posibility that the PMD is not good. This has happened before. If you can borrow a known good PMD it is easy to find out.