PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 injection pump on a 6.5????

jforler185
07-04-2010, 12:57
i have a 92 k2500 6.5 td. the injection pump(db2 mechanical) is going bad. will a 6.2 injection pump work on it. i realize that the 6.5td needs more fuel then the 6.2 but can't i turn up the pump? the reason i am asking is because i can find 6.2 pumps for a lot CHEAPER then 6.5 pumps. thanks guys

DaveBr
07-04-2010, 19:24
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong but I believe the diameter of the plungers on the 6.2 pump is smaller than the 6.5. So you will not be able to get the proper fuel delivery.

56pan
07-07-2010, 02:48
I just went through this. Had a 6.2 pump that had less than 3000 miles since overhaul, and it was put on a new 6.5 engine. Way low on power, but I didn't try turning it up at the fuel flow adjuster. Long story, but the people who put the new mil. surplus 6.5 into my truck couldn't make it run with the IP it came with. It had a 24 volt shutoff solenoid, which they were unaware of so when they couldn't make it run, they put the pump off my old engine on it. I took the top off, with the 12 volt solenoid off the 6.2, and put it on the new 6.5 IP and all was well. You could try turning up the 6.2 pump, but I believe it has less fuel delivery than the 6.5. Talked to a fellow at the place that overhauled the old 6.2 pump while I was in the midst of all this, and he said the 6.2 pump just can't deliver the fuel required for turbo'ed 6.5.

Robyn
07-07-2010, 06:45
Short story
The 6.2 IP will bolt on and work. The engine will run fine, although be a tad shy on power.

Long story.
You can turn the 6.2 IP up some and get close to stock power levels.

The 6.5 IP usually a 4911 DB2 has .310" diameter plungers the 6.2 IP's have .290" diameter plungers.

I have seen several 6.2 pumps that were in good shape used on 6.5's

If you are wanting MAX power, its not gonna be there but, the engine can get close to stock power if the 6.2 IP is tuned up about as far as is will go.

The little triangle shaped cover on the side of the IP covers the access point to the fuel delivery screw.

Try turning the screw to almost the limit 1 turn IIRC and you should get close.

I think the Banks Kits for the 6.2 recommended 1/4 to 1/2 turn more than stock with their setup.

If you have a good 6.2 IP its not a bad plan for sure to use it.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Missy