PDA

View Full Version : Reese Signature Series Hitch

MacDR50
07-05-2010, 16:08
Just a word to those that have or may buy this hitch. I dropped my 5th onto the truck causing $$$ of damage to the truck. The jaw handle did not retract all the way after I back in and the locking pin went in straight through the handle but missed the hole in the tab welded to the side of the hitch. Hard to see the mistake as the bottom hole is hidden from view. When I tried out my trailer brakes the jaw came open and "bang". I had already tried a pull with my chocks still in place and the landing legs up an inch. Thank the Lord I was not on the road but still at the site.

arveetek
07-08-2010, 06:13
Dropping the 5th wheel trailer on the truck bed is actually a pretty common occurrence, no matter what brand of hitch you have. Blue OX has made a lot of money selling their "bedsavers", which bolts onto the hitch and captures the 5th wheel in cases like this.

Just FYI, Reese is dropping the "Signature" name from that series of hitch and re-branding them the "Elite" series. I think they've made some minor changes to the hitch, due to their agreement with Ford. It's possible now to buy a 2011 Ford Super Duty and get it equipped from the factory with the Reese under-bed Elite series rails, which means you can purchase an Elite hitch and just drop it in and go. No installation necessary.

To all 5th wheel owners out there: make sure the hitch is securely locked, and that all safety pins (if equipped) are installed, before pulling away. Otherwise, you'll end up with crunched bed sides.

Casey

MacDR50
07-13-2010, 12:10
Just to finish this thread. I welded some additional metal to the lower tab and it is now impossible to put in the pin unless the holes are lined up.