PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fuel Manager 93 6.5

kanui
07-11-2010, 17:23
I want to replace my fuel manager with a racor. The stock fuel manager has a quarter inch drain line on it. Where would I hook this drain line with the racor set up? Also the water sensor and the fuel heater plugs...just leave them unplugged no problem or what?

DmaxMaverick
07-11-2010, 20:51
Doesn't matter to anyone except you. Leave it unconnected, or route a line to a convenient location for less messy draining (connect it as it was before, as the Racor assy will have a water drain). It serves no purpose but to allow the bottom of the bowl to be drained of water/contaminants between service intervals (and diagnostic testing). Choose where you want the fuel to discharge if/when you drain. The later models (Duramax) have a water drain, but no drain tube. Messy on the frame unless you install a hose onto it (I did).

56pan
07-11-2010, 21:18
What is this fuel manager? The fuel filter assy. at the back of the intake manifold? And what is the benefit of replacing it with the Racor unit, if this is the fuel filter/water detector assy.? Had my '93 C2500 for about 15 yrs. now, and never heard of this fuel manager.

kanui
07-12-2010, 13:20
Taking a wild guess, I think the fuel manager is the fuel filter housing. The advantage of replacing it is:
1. The location of the stock one is not convenient.
2. The racor does a better job of filtering (2 micron)
3. My racor has a glass bowl so i can see what is inside.
4. My racor replacement filters only cost $7.50....the stock one is over $18.00

Just to name a few.

56pan
07-14-2010, 08:32
"Taking a wild guess..." Right. Thank you for your input. But I don't see any reason to be a wise ass about it.

kanui
07-14-2010, 14:30
I was serious. I just bought one of these trucks in april this year. It's been sitting in the garage ever since. I had never had the hood up on one of these to work on it until last week. I'm going to run 100% bio in this truck so I'm doing everything I can in advance to avoid any problems. I have installed a new fuel tank, sending unit, Viton fuel lines, new lift pump and the Racor should arrive today.