PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler thoughts

BigDiesel
07-14-2010, 15:15
I found a intercooler out of a 900 series vovlo for $30.
Its measurements are 16" x 24" x 1 3/4. I realize its from a car with a 2.6L six, but it might work for our anemic little turbo. Thoughts?

DmaxMaverick
07-14-2010, 15:30
You'd need 2-4 of them, plumbed in parallel, to approach the efficiency and capacity of the "smaller" of the truck exchangers. Good price though, if you need one.

BigDiesel
07-14-2010, 16:57
I found a dodge p/u intercooler for $150. Thats looks better for me. Especially when i buy one of ronniejoe's turbo's. :D

gregschultz
07-15-2010, 12:46
Why not use a Heath or Snow Performance water mister instead of an air to air intercooler? I believe I read that the water misters are 70 or 80% efficient and the air to air intercooler is 20 - 30% efficient. Given the size of the turbo I'm guessing it's on the low side for a a2a intercooler.

I've just completed a batch of mods on my '97 (cold air intake, free flow exhaust, water pump, fan clutch, fan); but I believe that I'll get the water mister next spring and install it.

BigDiesel
07-22-2010, 00:44
I'm gonna use both the Snow methanol inj and an intercooler. :D

Stratosurfer
07-22-2010, 06:16

That actually sounds like a sound plan from my research of H2O injection and the issue of mounting an intercooler in Chevy 6.5.
Let us know how it turns out. The Heath/Snow system looks fantastic for our 6.5's, it just seems to be a little pricey to me. I will probably install a Heath/Snow or similar someday and run mostly on straight water.

ronniejoe
07-22-2010, 09:31
Why not use a Heath or Snow Performance water mister instead of an air to air intercooler? I believe I read that the water misters are 70 or 80% efficient and the air to air intercooler is 20 - 30% efficient. Given the size of the turbo I'm guessing it's on the low side for a a2a intercooler.

I've just completed a batch of mods on my '97 (cold air intake, free flow exhaust, water pump, fan clutch, fan); but I believe that I'll get the water mister next spring and install it.

I'd be really curious to know how the claimed efficiency is calculated for the water injection units...

80% is on the low end for most air-to-air charge air coolers. Where did you get the 20 - 30% number?

More Power
07-22-2010, 10:33

Whether using water injection or an air/air intercooler, the efficiency of either at reducing heat depends on the delta T (temperature difference between the boosted air and ambient). If one strategy for reducing intake air temp drops temp by 100 degrees, the second strategy won't produce the same effect. If one takes 200 degrees out, the second will have virtually no effect.

I found that during a 6.5 test on a long steep grade that EGT was unaffected when switching on/off a water/alc injection system - when the truck was already equipped with an air/air intercooler. I could not detect a change in performance either.

Jim

Stratosurfer
07-23-2010, 18:19
Whether using water injection or an air/air intercooler, the efficiency of either at reducing heat depends on the delta T (temperature difference between the boosted air and ambient). If one strategy for reducing intake air temp drops temp by 100 degrees, the second strategy won't produce the same effect. If one takes 200 degrees out, the second will have virtually no effect.

I found that during a 6.5 test on a long steep grade that EGT was unaffected when switching on/off a water/alc injection system - when the truck was already equipped with an air/air intercooler. I could not detect a change in performance either.

Jim
Jim,
Where can we get such an intercooler??...

BigDiesel
07-29-2010, 01:35
Well the intercooler will come first regardless, so I'll have to see what temps i can scrub off with it.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-29-2010, 18:52
with water/methanol injection at WOT through the mountains, i saw between 200-250 degrees cooler on the pyro

Stratosurfer
07-29-2010, 19:03
with water/methanol injection at WOT through the mountains, i saw between 200-250 degrees cooler on the pyro

This makes sense and is certainly worth the investment in the water/methanol injection system.

I was thinking that a -small- intercooler, much smaller that full radiator size (mounted in the bumper hole(s)) coupled withe the water methanol injector might show better results than just the O2 methanol injection vs having a large air/air intercooler to begin with.

Fun to discuss...

suburbanK-2500HD
07-29-2010, 22:57
That would be really "small" intercoolers. What about the cooling effect of two miniature coolers, cant be much effective.
if you want a front mounted install one below the bumper, its room for a bigger one there.. :)