PDA

View Full Version : Hydroboost Question

78Chev
07-16-2010, 18:00
My 06 GMC Duramax has excessive brake pedal travel. I diagnosed it using the GM service manual and its travel is 3/4 in. too much. I can see that there is quite a bit of slop (maybe 3/16?) between the pin on the brake pedal lever and the eyelet on the hyrdoboost connecting rod. The rod doesn't move until the brake pedal moves about 3/4 of an inch. Is this normal? If not is there a bushing to replace? The hydroboost doesn't leak and seems to operate properly, but I hate the feel of the brakes. Thanks a lot.
Randy

78Chev
07-18-2010, 19:00
Any thoughts before I change out the whole hydroboost? Thanks.

THEFERMANATOR
07-18-2010, 21:21
I SERIOUSLY doubt a hydro-boost will cause to much pedal travel as all it does is provide extra power to help you apply the brakes. As for the slop, there should be some sort of bushing or something in there I would think between the pin on the pedal and the rod that goes to the hydro-boost. I would bleed the brakes out all the way around and put in fresh fluid as a starting point. Also has any brake work recently been done to the truck? Some brake pads will give a spongy feel to the pedal.

78Chev
07-19-2010, 06:50
Thanks. The brakes are in good condition and there is no spongy feeling. Just excess travel. I have crawled under there and I can see that there is a lot of slop on the pin. I think I'll take it apart and see if I can get a sleeve or bushing made for it. Randy