PDA

View Full Version : 2005 LLY smoke

maverick_935
07-19-2010, 08:17
I seem to have a lot of black soot near the exhaust after a long trip with the fifth. Is this normal or are the injectors getting old. I have about 200,000kms on it.

Can the injectors be checked? and how? dealer?

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2010, 10:54
It's normal if you are using the Edge Juice, even on the lower settings (the Juice is smoky, in any case). The dealer can check your injector performance, but it isn't indicated, yet.

Mark Rinker
07-19-2010, 12:03
I get some soot buildup after awhile, even with stock and 'non-smoky' tunes. I think towing in general (higher fuel rates) creates some amount of soot, no matter what.

Add EGR, some miles on the injectors, and maybe even a partially restricted air filter, and you'll have more soot than when she was new. Stock tune, fuel treatment, and a clean air filter would probably reduce the soot you are seeing.

Let 'er buck! ;)

Kennedy
07-19-2010, 12:56
It's normal if you are using the Edge Juice, even on the lower settings (the Juice is smoky, in any case). The dealer can check your injector performance, but it isn't indicated, yet.

I'll add to that if the EGR is still operational it's a major issue. Good tuning would go a long way.