PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode, wiring and codes

cowboypilot
07-19-2010, 15:36
Not to beat a dead horse on this topic but just want to make sure I'm thinking correctly before I decide to start taking things into my own hands.

First the truck, 2005 3500 4x4 allison with 127,000 miles.

Visited family about 140 miles away this weekend, truck ran great as always on the way over. Parked the truck overnight, started it up the next morning to go golfing, drove about five miles down the road took off from a stoplight and I got the "CEL", engine really didn't seem to run much different but thought I heard some diesel clattering that was louder than normal.

Drove it to my friends house and parked it. Came back about 9 hours later, started it up, when I pulled out of his driveway it went into limp mode and I could diffinitely hear a lot more clattering than normal, sounded like a old volkswagen NA diesel, and would not go faster than 15 miles an hour.

From what I have read this sounds like #2,#7 injector harness, is that correct? I have read some things on the internet about this ice pick fix but can't find any detailed pictures or instructions, anyone know where some is? If I do fix it this way will it automatically come out of limp mode or do I need to unplug batteries to reset it?

Also, I was hoping to check the codes (but I left the truck 140 miles away), I know some vehicles if you cycle the key a certain amount of times (like 5) the codes will display on the information center, is there any deal like that on the silverados?

Thanks for all the help!

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2010, 23:42
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like time for a fuel filter change, at least to start with. It does not sound like the injector harness issue.

JohnC
07-20-2010, 06:06
No way to read the codes without a code reader. If you're stuck, change the fuel filter, then, if you can, drive it to a parts place (Auto Zone is one) where you can get the codes read free.

Kennedy
07-20-2010, 08:29
Two tools everybody should have. These will save you so much grief in the event that situations like this pop up. We can all guess at what the problem may be, but without knowing the DTC's and condition of the fuel filter/system it's just a guess.

Code reader:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/quicklynks.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/quicklynks01c.jpg

Fuel filter/system restriction gauge:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure01.jpg

cowboypilot
07-20-2010, 14:39
Since my truck is a 140 miles away I talked my dad into buying a code reader for me today so he can check the codes and relay them to me tonight, will post as soon as I get them.

Thanks for the help!

cowboypilot
07-20-2010, 19:41
So my dad hooked up the reader and this is what he got:

P0202- Injector circuit/open cylinder 2
P0700- Transmission control system (mil request)
P1294- no definition
P2149- fuel injector group b supply coltage circuit/open

he also looked under transmission codes and it had a pending code:

P0742- Torque converter clutch circuit stuck on

He started it up and it was running fine, drove it a few miles up gave it some good throttle and had no issues.

So where do I go from here? And anybody have any idea what the story is with the transmission code?

Thanks again for the help!

Kennedy
07-21-2010, 06:34
This would point to the #2 and #7 injector connectors for starters. Try this, clear codes and see what happens.

My 2005 had similar issues. Had the connectors done under warranty. Still does the P1294 occasionally. Primarily when engine is warming up and early on as described by original post. I haven't located the issue, but figure it must be the harness near the alternator. I'll be rechecking the injector connectors as well.

P1294 Injector Circuit Low to High Current Transition Time Bank 2

cowboypilot
07-27-2010, 13:17
So, went back to get my truck this weekend. Took injector #2 connector off, gently hammered a small drill bit in each of the four little square holes above and below the actual connector part until I saw that it closed up quite a bit, stuck it back on the injector, cleared the codes and have put about 200 miles on it-no issues.

Thanks for the help!

Adam