PDA

View Full Version : NO Brakes!

vernj4
07-22-2010, 17:56
Hooked up a new 5th wheel from the factory. All systems functioned Except, I had no trailer brakes. The controller lights came on as expected....but no brakes. Changed the electrical plug from the box receptacle to the hitch receptacle....still no joy.

All turn signals, brake lights, etc functioned normally. Any clues would be appreciated.

arveetek
07-23-2010, 11:53
So the brake controller in the truck functioned fine with a different trailer? What kind of brake control do you have?

Check the 7-way cord on the trailer, and trace it back until it goes into a junction box. That's where the 7-way cord transitions to the wiring supplied by the trailer mfg. It's probably a loose wire right there in the box. If that checks out, make sure the wiring at the axles hasn't been damaged or become loose.

Casey

Cougar
08-21-2010, 14:46
What is the gain setting on your controller?

CoyleJR
08-21-2010, 22:26
Check the fuse for the third brake light (roof). On my 2006 when that fuse blew my trailer brakes would not work.
Good Luck
John

MacDR50
08-23-2010, 13:06
I am far from an auto-electrical expert but I had a similar problem on a trailer a few years back. Here's how I tracked my problem down

Consult the plug wiring diagram for your connector here:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
I assume it is a 7 pin one.

If you connect a 6 volt lantern battery (safer than a 12 volt auto battery) with the positive to the trailer brake pin on the trailer plug and the negative to the trailer frame you should hear the brakes emit a low buzz. You may have to listen carefully. If you don't hear a buzz you almost certainly have a wiring connection issue on the trailer side. Mine was a bad ground connection on the trailer plug but, since everything else works and all the brakes are grounded independently to the trailer frame (or were on my rig) it is most likely the positive wire.

If you hear the buzz then your problem is in the truck wiring. Check with a trailer connector tester ($5 at just about any place that sells trailers). It will tell you if the truck plug is wired correctly and if you are getting current on the brake pin. You will need a helper to push the brake peddle or use anything heavy enough to depress it until the brake lights come on.

If no power you will have to trace it back, check the fuses and/or the connectors for the brake controller. The site above has an excellent reference for installing a brake controller that may help in this regard.

Good luck. Electrical issues can be a real PITA.

dreese_us
09-04-2010, 22:53
Same problem, turned out to be the brake controller. I checked everything, I thought, replaced plugs, bought the tester to plug into the truck, all checked out ok. Took the trailer to the shop for wheel bearing re-pack and brake check. They replaced all brake mechanisms at a cost of 570.00. I got the phone call to pick up, still no brakes. Turned out I had a bad brake controller.

The brake controller did test good! Replaced the brake controller and now have brakes.