PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan replacement

KenDavis
07-23-2010, 18:46
Is there a improved radiator fan that will directly bolt on to the OEM fan clutch? The clutch is less than two years old. I know most are recommending Kennedy's clutch and fans but I don't need to go that far just yet.

6.5TDTahoe
07-24-2010, 09:28
Best to buy change over parts from Heath DSL or KennedyDSL. Fan clutch hub w/ Duramax fan blade,either a stock or modified clutch hub. Also a 1999 OEM water pump.I use AC Delco 192 degree thermostats. Kennedys clutch hub is modified to engage at lower water temp.These are must do change overs IMO. Direct read out coolant temp gauge also. These parts arn't just the trick of the week! Essential parts IMO!!These parts are available AC Delco & GM Dealers,excluding the modified clutch hub.

Kennedy
07-29-2010, 11:37
Clarify:

Kennedy Special Calibration fan clutch. This is the ONLY one that is calibrated to engage at a lower temp. Hayden units that others sold are bone stock Borg Warner. I buy my clutch in pallet qty and often wonder why I invest so much money in a product that does not turn over quickly. Some day I may come to my senses.

20" steel blade is my recommendation. These blades are now discontinued from GM, but I feel so strongly that I bouth 100 of them. Another situation of why did I tie up so much in a stupid blade? It would be much easier to promote the Dmax blade.

1997 Water pump with the 4 stud style hub. The 99 model year pumps were split between 4 stud and thread on hub. There is no benefit to the thread on hub other than ease of assembly at the factory. We do not and will not offer a clutch for the thread on hub due to limited useage and lack of tru benefit.

ronniejoe
07-29-2010, 12:29
The 20" 9-blade steel fan is what I use on my truck with the Kennedy clutch. It is a huge improvement over the factory set-up on my older, 95 truck. If you have a newer truck, you have everything but the Kennedy clutch. If you have a 99 or 2000 and want to use the Kennedy clutch, you just need to swap water pumps to one for a 98. Everything else (blade, thermostat hsg, etc) is the same.

The older fan blades will not bolt to the newer style clutch nor vise-versa.

DaveBr
07-30-2010, 12:57
I too vouch for Kennedy's clutch & 20" 9 blade fan. It revolutionized the cooling system on my 93.