PDA

View Full Version : Turbo install finally completed!

Subzilla
07-24-2010, 17:07
Finally finished, for the most part, the install of my ATS turbo on the '83, along with fresh head gaskets, 6.5 heads, new belts, hoses, fitment mods, blah, blah.... Did all of this with the engine in the vehicle - not a fun job. Next time, I would definitely pull the engine to reduce the permanent 90 degree back bend I know have...:eek:

Anyway, I cranked her up tonight for the first time. Bled 3 of the injectors, and she cranked up in 10 seconds and roared to life. Very nice indeed. Can't quite drive it yet as I need to connect the ATS manifold with the rest of the exhaust system. Plus I want to make double sure I have no leaks or other issues before ripping down the road.

Got two red flags as I was test running it in the garage. First, the water in fuel light was on. I thought maybe I had knocked a wire loose so I started looking. Where the heck is the sensor for my factory 2 filter set-up? I've had this thing for 14 years and I don't recall ever seeing a sensor! I know where my '86 stuff is. Any help??

Second, I've got the boost gage hooked up and while I was idling, the needle didn't jump a bit. Revved it up quickly to 2000 and still no movement. Should I be seeing something or will the boost kick in once I load it up on the road?? OR do I have an intake leak or gage issue? I can hear the sweet turbo whistle, though so I know it is spinning. :)

JohnC
07-24-2010, 17:56
Don't now about the early filters, but, IIRC, the turbo is non-wastegated. If so, don't expect any positive pressure with no load. (even with a wastegate, you may still not see anything without a load...)

Subzilla
07-24-2010, 18:46
Yup you're right, no waste gate.

HRSPOWR
07-25-2010, 08:54
I have the ATS system on the 6.2 in my International Scout. Cruising around town, rarely see any boost. On the highway, I get between 2-4psi. Only time it really registers any boost in when I put my foot into it, or trying to climb an incline. Even then, I get a max of about 8psi. Thats with the pump turned up about a 1/4 turn.

WhiteTruck
07-25-2010, 10:22
The factory setup with the 2 spin on filters used a WIF sensor in the tank.