PDA

View Full Version : New 6.5 owner looking for basic info

Jcolg
01-02-2005, 06:50
I just purchased a 1997 2500 with a 6.5 TD. This is my first diesel powered vechile. Presently the truck is running fine, however I'd like to learn as much as I can so that when problems arise I have a good understanding of how this engine works. I did most of the work on my old 350 gas engine truck. I think this forum is a good place to start and I have spent a lot of time reading in the forums and in the members section. One thing that would help me is some sort of picture of the the engine comparment with the different diesel specific parts labelled. As I read about things in the forums it would be nice to be able to identify these parts. Frankly, I'm still not sure where the IP is, I wanted to check and see if it's a green or blue label but it must be well hidden. I'm assuming its on the top of the motor buried under the tubro connection but I'm not sure. Some of this info is probably in the trucks owners manual, however my trucks manual is missing. If anyone can point my in the right direction as far as identifing important diesel componets under my hood I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

catmandoo
01-02-2005, 07:00
well the ip is easy,if it still has the turbo power cover on top of the engine,take it off and just follow the injector lines up,they all meet at the pump,

rjschoolcraft
01-02-2005, 09:00
I would suggest that you buy the GM service manuals for your truck from Helm Incorporated (http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=seo11502). You can also buy an owners manual there.

HowieE
01-02-2005, 13:42
Take the plastic ocver off the engine and sell it on E Bay for about $20.00. Take that money and buy a good after market manual.
In the mean time you should know were these components are. The fuel filter, just left and behind center of the top of the engine, buy and carry a spare. This filter is a little tricky to change in that there is a small metal ring at the top of the filter housing that has to be in right to seal correctly. Do some homework in a manual before attempting this.
The fuel drain, on top and just left of center at the front of the engine. A small Tee handle with about 12 ins. of hose tucked down in undr the valve. If you get a water in fuel light you will need that right away. Carry some additional hose to extend the drain hose out of the engine area just for neatness, just don't let the Do Gooders see you drain fuel and water on the ground. Again study the fuel draining sequence before you need it.
The glow plug realy is located right of center on the firewall. While the relay will mostlikely not be a problem you need to know what it does. It applies voltage to the glowplugs, located in the heads at each cylinder, during pre start warmup.
Hard starting during cold weather is most often the result of bad glowplugs. Removing the green wire from the top of a plug, tucked down on the side of the head about were you would look for sparkplugs, and checking the plug to ground with a continuity meter for an open will tell you which plug or plugs are bad.
The main thing to remember between a gasser and a diesel is do not run out of fuel. Restarting after a loss of fuel is not just sitting there cranking till it starts.

Jcolg
01-02-2005, 15:42
Thanks for the replies,, I will order in a service manual as soon as possible. HowieE thanks for the info about the location of the fuel drain, I was wondering what the little valve was for. I'll also check my glow plug resistances. You mentioned a plastic cover that I should sell on eBay,, I don't have any sort of plastic cover in my engine compartment so I guess someone has already removed it. It sounds like I don't need it however being curious what did it cover? Thanks

DennisG01
01-02-2005, 18:31
If I may speak for HowieE - it covered up the intake manifold to make it look pretty. You should see some empty, threaded holes that would receive the bolts to screw down the plastic cover.

94blue
01-03-2005, 10:06
Hey Howie,

I changed my filter this weekend and could'nt find any info between three different manuals that mentioned that ring, or if it was needed, etc. Since it looked like it came with the filter I had removed I did'nt replace it. MMMM, is that why I could'nt get the truck to start back up? See my post from yesterday under 94BLUE. Since I tried to start it now w/o that ring have I sucked air into the IP. If so what gets this thing started again??

Thanks,
94blue

sturgeon-phish
01-04-2005, 09:43
While talking about fuel filter changes, don't forget to ensure the strainer is in the proper location in the base of the fuel fulter bowl.
Jim

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
01-04-2005, 10:52
Originally posted by Jcolg:
You mentioned a plastic cover that I should sell on eBay,, I don't have any sort of plastic cover in my engine compartment so I guess someone has already removed it. It sounds like I don't need it however being curious what did it cover? Thanks Open the hood. If you see something that says "Turbo Power" on it, remove it. If you don't see "Turbo Power" (and it's pretty big, red letters) then someone has removed it.

Mine's sitting on a shelf somewhere in the garage.

Edit to add: It looks like the writing in my avatar ;)

Jcolg
01-06-2005, 10:22
Thanks for the replies to my first newbie post. Just wanted to share that I am really enjoying this truck. My first tank averaged 23 mpg, this was a highway city mix and better then I thought I would get. My only concern about the truck now is it's hard to start when the temp drops below -10C. I have to roll it for about 20 seconds, only one or two cylinders appear to fire. Plugging it in does help, but on the few days we get here that drop to -25C I think this truck will probably be parked. I removed and checked the glow plugs on the drivers side of the engine, they all measured out around 1.3 ohms. I also cleaned the spade connectors going to each glow plug. I didn't do the passenger side because I couldn't figure out how to get to them. Looks like one would have to remove the turbo, or the inner fender cover. Hopefully by next winter I will have gone over entire glow plug system and it's cold start performance will improve. If any one has any cold start suggestions or a way to get to the glow plugs on the passenger side of the engine I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks JCol

rjschoolcraft
01-06-2005, 10:33
The easiest way, in my opinion, to get to the passenger side glow plugs is through the fender well. Simply remove the fiberglass cover and they are staring you right in the face. I usually disconnect the down pipe to get to #6, but others do not.

Your cold starting problems are likely glow plug related. If you check them in the truck, make sure you disconnect the lead going to the plug, otherwise you can get a false reading. It's not that hard to replace them... wouldn't be a bad idea to just upgrade to the latest factory or go to a set of Kennedy quick heats or Penninsular marine units.