PDA

View Full Version : Which Motor is it?

ourtrek
07-31-2010, 22:31
I am trying to find out exactly what engine I have, dont know what vehicle it came from.
When it is talked about the code for the block, such as "Y" or "F" is this listed in the engine number?
It does have the bolt holes at the back what appears to be for a centre mount turbo, and its all serpentine belt.
Its currently N/A.
Hope you can help

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-31-2010, 22:55
year, model, it's all needed or else no one can really help you. if we don't know what kind of truck it is, we are worse off then you for figuring out the engine. ;)

suburbanK-2500HD
08-01-2010, 01:16
I am trying to find out exactly what engine I have, dont know what vehicle it came from.
When it is talked about the code for the block, such as "Y" or "F" is this listed in the engine number?
It does have the bolt holes at the back what appears to be for a centre mount turbo, and its all serpentine belt.
Its currently N/A.
Hope you can help

Give me the VIN number, and i can check it.

Robyn
08-01-2010, 07:11
Other issues to consider.

Export vehicles can be quite different than units sold in the USA.
Has anyone been into the thing and changed things over the years.

Basically, the differences are going to be in the emissions devices and the setup of the ECM

The engine itself will be pretty much identical inside.

There might be a difference in the precups but, I doubt it.

The rear mounted turbo "BLOCK" could have found its way into anything.

Give us more info on the model of the rig.

Suburbans will se a different code between the 1500 and the 2500 series
The 2500 will be an "F" CODE
The same thing will apply to the pickups of the 1500 and 2500 series.
The 3500 trucks is also an "F"CODE
The vans are the ones that use a rear mounted turbo and will have a different code too.

Engine casting codes and such will offer nothing to really identify things.

Again, most of the main differences are in the emission calibrations.

The light duty (1500 trucks) will have an EGR setup thats mounted to the top of the intake air "Top Hat" the F code engines do not have this device.

Missy