PDA

View Full Version : Rear Differential Spacer?

DA BIG ONE
04-29-2005, 01:54
I see there are a few brands of rear differential spacers out there, I would like to see input from those of you who have, or are using them and if any adverse bearing wear has been documented, or?

G. Gearloose
04-29-2005, 02:48
I'm perplexed...
do you mean a lift-block?

john8662
04-29-2005, 05:33
I think the spacers that are in question are similar to these (link below), I'm seriously considering the same mod for my K2500 Suburban. I always thought it looked odd that the front wheels stuck out more in the front than in the rear. This is a characteristic of the IFS 4WD. I just want both the front and rear to be even, maybe it will make it more stable. Since the aftermarket rims, the fronts stick out a little more than the stock steel rims..

http://www.correctrack.com/

G. Gearloose
04-29-2005, 06:27
Oh, right, duh, now I get it..

This is a great reference on that axle..btw
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

matt-max
04-29-2005, 10:23
if it is spacers you are looking for, try this guy out, he is a retired drag racer in california that is a hoot to talk to and is much less expensive that the above source, about $210 i think for 2" hubcentric spacers. been using them on the tahoe and on that short of a wheelbase they make a huge difference in handling and towing stability. plus the move the rear rims out to fill the wheelwells and look much better than stock!

matt

http://www.wheeladapter.com

David Brady
05-01-2005, 06:36
I just went to the website and that picture of the hydrogen peroxide funny car is very interesting. I will have to do some research on this.

ace58
05-01-2005, 17:49
I have had rear spacers on my Suburban since new. I saw a truck that looked right and asked the owner how he accomplished, what GM can't or won't be bothered with, the proper spacing. He said the application is for a new style (2000 and up) 3/4 ton, that only spaces wheel 1 1/2" instead of 2". The wheels look correct in the wheelwells and the 1/2" difference is not as noticeable as the wheel sticking out an extra 1/2" in the rear would be.

matt-max
05-01-2005, 20:04
the tahoe has 17" hubcentric rims on it from the current denali bodystyle in the factory offset. fred suggested 2" spacers and i honestly wanted maybe 1.75" or 1.5".

he said to try the 2" and if i wanted to exchange for the narrower spacers just send them back and pay the shipping. they do stick out a bit past the fronts but with the factory flares, they don't stick out past the wheelwells and look great.

i think if you were to use a wheel with less backspacing, like most aftermarket wheels, 2" might be too far unless you like cleaning the spray and mud off your fenders each time it rains.....

Ratau
05-04-2005, 23:43
My blazer got 10-bolt diff

ace58
05-05-2005, 01:33
That is an interesting thought. My Suburban is a K1500 with a 14 bolt rear with 9 1/2" ring gear, that is not full floating. I believe it is similar to a car being the rear drums slide off the axles without unbolting from the hubs. Anyway, I have not had any type of issue with the rear end in 153K miles.

JohnC
05-05-2005, 09:26
AFAIK the spacing issue is limited to trucks with the full floating rear axle. the reason, I believe, is that the axle is designed to worlk with either single or dual rear wheels and the housing length is a compromise. Or maybe not...