PDA

View Full Version : Need help

kglenn
08-01-2010, 18:02
Hey guys, I'm new to the D-Max world and need some advise on what is going on with my new ride. I purchased a 2005 GMC two weeks ago and keep having the same problem. If I take it out on the highway and go maybe six miles it will start losing power and start smoking like crazy. It has done this three times and only made the check engine light come on once. one code was for the mass air flow sensor. We took it off and blew a piece of trash off of it, plugged it back up, cleared the codes and all seemed well. drove it around town with no problems. Took off out of town yesterday and it all started over again. This morning I got a sensor off another truck and all seemed well again....... till i took off down the highway and it started the same thing. I shut it off, unplugged the sensor, let it set and plugged it back up and it got me back home. The fuel mileage has been really low also. What could be going on here ?

kglenn
08-02-2010, 19:20
Come-on, Somebody must have some kind of an idea where to start on this. I,m at a loss. I have gone ahead and ordered a new mass air flow sensor. I really don't think this is the problem though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

DmaxMaverick
08-03-2010, 01:29
Welcome aboard!

Not really much to go on without the actual codes. All of them, even if they seem unrelated.

Then, replace the filters. Replace the air filter, even if it "looks" OK. Replace the fuel filter, well, just because. If your MAF is "plugging", you have other issues at play. It shouldn't need any but the most infrequent cleaning. That is, of course, unless you are using an oil-type air filter. If that's the case, install an OEM type filter, at least until you get the issue resolved.

You may be right. Probably money wasted on a new MAF. When they fail, the PCM will usually throw a fit and not let you forget about it. Rarely are they an intermittent problem, and won't wait for you to get on the highway to code.....Again, unless you are using an other-than-original air filter system. Many, if not most, of the aftermarket intake systems will have an issue with the MAF at some point. I have an AFE intake, and the MAF will code on occasion, but only when it's time for a filter cleaning (dry cleanable type -- no oil). Not a bad thing, for me anyway.

Kennedy
08-03-2010, 07:03
Is teh truck stock or modified? What intake is on it? My guess is that it has an oiled gauze type filter and you are slobbering the sensor with oil when you drive it.

As DmaxMav stated though without code numbers it's a guessing game and my crystal ball is in for repairs.

kglenn
08-03-2010, 17:43
Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck used, so I really don't know the history as for as the motor goes. There are no boxes or after-market parts on the truck that I can see. the air box is stock as is the filter. The strange thing is the check engine light only came on once and has never came on again even though the same problem keeps happening. The scanner does show more than one code when this happens, but always leans toward the mass air flow sensor. I replaced it with a new one today so I will try to take a trip down the road tomorrow and see what happens. It has been like clock work as for as heading down the road. I really have to figure this out to save face because I have driven Dodges for the last few years and I am catching a lot of slack about my new to me D-Max. This truck is a Sharp rig, and runs great while it is running. I,m not so sure the problem is not related to the motor being cleaned and detailed with high pressure washers. If the problem persist I will make sure and get all the codes and post them so maybe someone has an idea where to go from here. one thing I can say is when it happens it seems to lose all boost. All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
08-03-2010, 23:48
Probably not a pressure washing incident. Get the codes and we can go from there.

Just a SWAG, but you are probably looking at a turbo vane servo. Not a real big deal, and not too expensive. If so, the MAF codes may not be MAF sensor failure, but a disagreement of MAF values.

kglenn
08-08-2010, 10:18
OK, I have put the new MAFS on and had a chance yesterday to take it down the road in the 100 degree heat and so for the problem has not repeated itself. I hope the fix turns out this simple. If it does come back I will get all the Codes so maybe ya,ll can tell me where to go from here. DmaxMaverick, is the TVS on the turbo or located somewhere else ? This motor is all new to me so I would like to learn more about it because I always do it all myself.
Thank ya,ll for your time and help.

kglenn
08-08-2010, 15:56
Well, It has started all over again. Drove about twenty miles, stopped and turned around to head home and out comes the smoke and loss of power. CEL came on this time so I went straight to the scanner and pulled the following codes......P1404.....P0299.....P0101. What do you think I could be dealing with here?

kglenn
08-17-2010, 17:19
Was it something I said ?