PDA

View Full Version : DS4 Electronic Fuel Pump 1997 Chevy 6.5TD

otello
01-02-2005, 12:14
Does anyone know what the correct voltage should be at the pins on the harness that connects to the top of the DS4 pump. I read 5.0VDC on 4 out of the 6 pin connector. The other 2 pins read zero. Truck will not start. Has fuel at the input line to pump but does not have fuel at cyclinders. Can't check the voltage at the FSD because can't get to it with out removing manifold. Thought maybe I am not getting right voltage to pump as it would seem that everything should be 12V. Can't find any wiring diagrams in the diagonistic section. Have read troubleshooting section. Appreciate any help on this before I have to call the dealer.
1997 Chevrolet C3500 Dually
6.5LTD

a5150nut
01-02-2005, 12:34
Have you checked the bleed valve at the filter to see if you are getting fuel past the pump? You should also hear the boost pump run.

Another place to check is the Fuel Solinoid Shut off on top of the injection pump. Round cylinder at front of injection pump with two wires coming out of it.

otello
01-02-2005, 20:35
Fuel is going into top of injection pump. Took line loose and turned ignition on and pump worked fine to get fuel to the injection pump. Not sure what to do with round cylinder.

Govt issue
01-03-2005, 12:48
5 volts is right on those wires. but that dosen't mean they are working right. start on the fuel shut off sol. that is the big round cylinder on the front of the inj pump. unplug it and jump power to one wire and ground on the other. 12 volt sol. and it dosen't matter which way. try cranking it. let me know. you should hear a clunk when you turn on the sol.

otello
01-03-2005, 13:26
Thanks for the info. Believe it or not the truck started today without doing anything. It has been at least 2 weeks that it wouldn't start. It wouldn't start yesterday after I checked voltages. I'm in Florida so hasn't been real cold and I don't think its weather related as it would not start in summer the same way but would start in usually 3 or 4 hrs if I let it sit. However today there is lite, check engine soon. I'm thinking maybe turning the ignition on yesterday caused this. Relly thinking about trading it for gas truck except I pull a fifth wheel trailer and with the duallys it is sweet when its running. Thanks again.